Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photo stream not showing up as iphoto events?

photos that show up in my photo stream (on mac) don't show up under Events in iPhoto? why not? and does this mean they aren't saved on my mac and could be deleted after 30 days? preferences are checked for my photo stream

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 5:32 PM

Have you set thePreferences > iCloud in iPhoto to "My Photo Stream > Automatic Import"?

If "Automatic Import" is not enabled, you have to manually import the photos from My Photo Stream to the library.

14 replies

Apr 21, 2015 5:42 PM in response to léonie

in iphoto under preferences>icloud

I have My photo stream checked off but not the iCloud photo library

I have My photo stream checked and it says underneath - import your recent photos from devices without iCloud library

I had that checked earlier when I noticed no events created?

am I missing something?

Thank you for your help!

May 14, 2015 1:10 PM in response to frier23

Whoa! -- this is a problem! In fact-- apparently some change has been made by Apple where photos taken on your iPhone or iPad are no longer saved as Events in Photo. Even worse recent pictures that I took on my iPhone 6 Plus that would have been in my May 2015 Events not only didn't show up but have been deleted from my iPhone some of these were important to me -- e.g., a record hailstorm.

May 14, 2015 4:31 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry HN -- Hmmm... I guess I wasn't on top of the details of the transition from iPhoto to Photos. I am a typical user and got used to my Photostream content being preserved on my Mac in Events every Month. The first time I used Photos -- of course -- things had changed, but my past monthly Photostream Events were right there in Albums -- so -- I wasn't too worried. I was worried when I realized that some photos I had taken in May were gone, and there they were not stored in my May Events on my Mac as an album. So -- now I know better, but I had to find out the hard way. It also bothers me also that there is no automatic way to store my new iPhone photos on my Mac by the month.

Thanks.

May 17, 2015 2:31 PM in response to LarryHN

Hello again Larry HN... I can't believe how responsive Apple can be. I don't think there is any corporation in the world that listens to its customers like Apple. Here it is 3 days after my initial post pointing out a limitation in the new Photos app. I would like to report that this shortcoming has been corrected and my recent photos on my iPhone are being saved as Events on my Mac in Photos in Yosemite. Thank heaven -- I was ready to give up iCloud and Photostream.

For those worrying about preserving their photos on their computer I have determined that you can do this by manually using iPhoto to import photos to your Mac. However, I am not sure that the photos get organized in iPhoto in a logical way by "Moments" because mine all showed up in an Album named "Last Import".

Jun 1, 2015 10:29 AM in response to Bob H.

Whoa! -- this is a problem! In fact-- apparently some change has been made by Apple where photos taken on your iPhone or iPad are no longer saved as Events in Photo.

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2015 4:58 PM in response to Utah Gal

Since there are no events in Photos obviously Bob H is not seeing his PhotoStream automatically saved into a non existent entity

In Photos as posted PS photos are in their proper place in years/collections/moments

Of course - there are no events in Photos so nothing is saved as an event - PhotoStream photos show in their proper place in Photos view

No idea what Bob H is seeing but it is not events in Photos

LN

Jun 1, 2015 7:00 PM in response to Utah Gal

Utah Gal -- you are right. Now I don't get what happened in my case, but after a bit of analysis I do see what I think I did. Apparently in my desperation when I first discovered we no longer had the Photo Stream Event appear automatically, I tried some things, and one of them worked so smoothly I didn't realize it was of my own doing.

So here is my recipe for doing what I did.

1) After opening Photos, select Albums

2) From the File Menu select "New Smart Album..." and a new dialog box will appear.

3) Give your Album a name -- for example, "June - 2015"

4) In the first pull down menu select "Date"

5) In the second pull down menu select "is in the range" and two date selection fields appear

6) Put in the range -- for example "6/1/2015" to "6/30/2015"

7) Automagically your photos will appear in your monthly Smart Albums if you are using Photo Stream.

You could create Smart Albums for the rest of year if you wish. You might want to do one for May 2015 to capture those also. I am hoping what is in the Smart Albums is permanent even after the photos are dropped from Photo Stream. They should because they appear in "Photos" which has them all.

So Utah Gal, I hope this helps you and others. Your post helped me figure this out.

Jun 2, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Utah Gal

This an addendum to my previous post providing a recipe for automatically organizing and storing Photo Stream photos from your Apple devices (e.g., iPhone) by month. This used to be done automatically in Events, but with the recent change from iPhoto to Photos, this feature was no longer available.

Apple supplied a default Album for the Events previously created in Events named "iPhoto Events",

If you want to keep the Events structure going, then create you Smart Album while you are in "iPhoto Events".

If you want to have new albums for each month's Photo Stream photos while you are in "Albums", create the new Smart Albums while you are in "Albums".

One suggestion on nomenclature --

Name the Smart Albums like so -- "June 2015 Photo Stream"

Hope this helps.

My photo stream not showing up as iphoto events?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.