Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule disk error

I have a first generation Airport Time Capsule, a year ago I bought a mac mini and am using my old TC with it. I get the following error when trying to backup "The backup disk needs 70.87 GB for the backup but only 30.91 GB are available. Select a larger backup disk or make the backup smaller by excluding files"

When I check my TC it looks like there is only one backup saved. I don't know how to check the size of my TC disk, but I think it is smaller then the 600gb on my mini that I am trying to backup. Not sure. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 8:40 PM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 8:57 PM in response to Modjeskatim

You likely have a 500 GB Time Capsule, but it is possible that you have a 1 TB Time Capsule.

Please open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

What does the info there tell you as far as available space? It will read something like xxxx GB of xxxx GB available.....or xxx TB of xxxx TB available

Post back on your results.

Apr 21, 2015 9:15 PM in response to Modjeskatim

Yes, if you want to keep your old backups.

No, if you are willing to erase your Time Capsule and start all over again with a new backup.

However, I would not recommend that you erase your old Time Capsule since it is a minor miracle that it is still running. Most of the 1st Gen Time Capsules failed at 18-24 months. Very few made it to 36 months.

Time capsule disk error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.