Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2nd gen airport keeps dropping wifi connection

I have a 2nd generation Airport and I'm running Yosemite. I have no problem with Internet connection using an Ethernet cable and I have update my firmware, tried a hard reset, tried manual settings, tried clearing all network settings and then hard reset but so far I have not been able to figure out why my wifi will not stay connected for more than 30 seconds sometimes longer and all the while the green light on the airport stays green? Please someone help.

I bought a new airport as a test and guess what, the new Model A1392 seems to be working fine after 8 hours. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), and Macbook air os 10.7.5

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:21 PM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2015 7:06 PM in response to illanabehrend

I have a 2nd generation Airport

Would this be a 2nd Gen AirPort Extreme, or a 2nd Gen AirPort Express?

We ask since a 2nd Gen AirPort Extreme would be anywhere from 6 to 8 years old depending on when it was manufactured and sold.....and the useful life of most routers designed for home use is about 5 years, on average.

If it is a 2nd Gen AirPort Express, it could be coming up on 3 years or much less, again depending on when it was manufactured and sold. That is a bit early for a product to be heading downhill, but I've had two 2nd Gen AirPort Express devices here both start acting up and needing to be replaced at about 2 years of age.

I bought a new airport as a test and guess what, the new Model A1392 seems to be working fine after 8 hours

I think that you likely already know the answer here.

My 2nd gen airport keeps dropping wifi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.