Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snapshots went missing!

I just heard feedback from a client about a new version of a fashion video I had shot and am now editing for her.

She wanted to go back one version.

So I tried to open that snapshot.

The snapshot of this version is gone from Final Cut Pro.

In fact, Final Cut Pro X lost ALL PROJECTS that I had made during a two week timeframe.

I opened up the backups - but they were gone there as well. Obviously FCP had lost those shots earlier, unnoticed by me.

How can Final Cut Pro simply just drop seven or eight projects (Snapshots)?

Is there any way to get this back?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 512 Gb SSD, 16 Gb RAM,

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:33 PM

2 replies

Apr 21, 2015 6:55 PM in response to Ocean 17

I went into the files that were once back-ups (Carbon Copy Cloner, works like Time Machine, older backups are not overwritten, but stored).

I cannot open those old backups. I get "file missing" messages all lover the place.

I had opened this particular snapshot recently and copied a range of scenes.

Then I opened a different snapshot and pasted those scenes in.

That was the last time I had seen that snapshot.

But all the other snapshots that also disappeared, I had not opened them recently.

Apr 21, 2015 7:25 PM in response to Ocean 17

The problem has been solved.

Basically, as soon as you interact with a snapshot - even if you don't change anything - it gets a new "save date".

I had opened several projects and copied sequences out of them. That changed the save date, and I could not find them any more.

Gladly I had the original date in the title - it was just too much to the right, and was not displayed, so it appeared projects had disappeared, while they had only been resaved under a new save date.

Giving the right titles to snapshots is key.

Snapshots went missing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.