Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I change my "Apple ID and Primary Email Address" to an email address using an Apple domain?

I am trying to use an Apple EMail address as my primary email address and I am unable to change it. I previously had another "nonapple" address identified as my Apple ID and Primary Email address. Now I apparantly can only change it to another "non Apple" related email address. It seems stupid to have to go to Google and use thier email address to make a change.

What gives.

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:50 PM

3 replies

Apr 22, 2015 6:28 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger! I understand that it is an Apple ID already that makes sense. That "non Apple " address however, is compromised and I do not wish to use it anymore and will be shutting it down. I find it strange that I must only identify a "Non Apple" address as my "primary email address". I have an alias address on the account and I can sign in using it as my Apple ID. i don't see the Logic in forcing someone to use another email provider as your primary mail service. (I know I can set up alias's and use them under an Apple domain, but the primary email will still be there and I understand used for any account communications from Apple.) Any further comments on this situations?

Apr 22, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Rglrjeanus

Rglrjeanus wrote:

Any further comments on this situations?

Not really - it is what it is - except to point out that it's vital that Apple have an address they can reach you at in case something goes wrong with your iCloud or you forget your password. If they can only contact you at an address you can't access you will have to get involved in the Support fandango.

Why can't I change my "Apple ID and Primary Email Address" to an email address using an Apple domain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.