Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to install latest mac OS x on iMac without original dvd

hi. I have imac Intel based and early 2008 model. I used Yosemite in it... I erased the Whole HDD.. Now it shows flashing folder icon with question mark..i don't have original DVD or internet connection.. My friend has mac book pro running Yosemite... He also got dmg files of Yosemite and other versions... He created usb bootable disk and it was working with his computer.... Can I use the same USB drive to clean install Yosemite on my computer? If not what are my options... Please help me..i kept iMac without any OS for two weeks... Thanks in advance...

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 7:46 PM

1 reply

Apr 21, 2015 7:54 PM in response to shivafeb17

No. You cannot install software downloaded by someone else from the App Store. You can use a USB flash drive to install Yosemite, but only the one you have. Since you did not keep yours, I assume, then you cannot create a flash drive installer. You need the Snow Leopard retail DVD.

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

Or you can purchase replacement discs from Apple if they still have them:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes

international calling numbers..

how to install latest mac OS x on iMac without original dvd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.