Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad crashes when backing up to iTunes

I just got a new iPad Air, and I need to back up my old iPad 3 to my Macbook so I can restore the new iPad Air from the backup. BUT....every time I try to back my old iPad up to my computer, my iPad crashes. I get about 75% of the way through the backup loading bar, and then my iPad goes black and takes five to ten minutes to reboot itself, and then the whole process happens again. I've seen multiple posts about iTunes crashing when syncing, but not the iPad itself. I have tried hitting both the back up button or just the sync button (it backs up during the process) but neither works. This same process also occurs when I try to update to iOS 8.3 (from my iPad, no Macbook or iTunes involved). How do I get my iPad to last through the backup process?

iPad, iOS 8.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 7:45 PM

2 replies

Apr 21, 2015 8:16 PM in response to peacelovesmile

Have you tried backing your iPad up to iCloud?

Are you using the latest version of iTunes?

How much unused space is left on the iPad?

Try to delete any unnecessary emails/messages & apps. Clear Safari cache: Settings->Safari->Clear History & Website Data.

Make sure the iPad is charged before backing up to iTunes

Try a general reset:

Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings. You won't lose any data but will have to log back into your wifi network

iPad crashes when backing up to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.