Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages on MacBook Pro not sending to non-iPhones

About a week ago, something happened to my iCloud preferences and it changed the iMessages preferences, which I can't find where or what was changed. I used to be able to send regular text messages through iMessages to people who don't have iMessages. How can I fix this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:02 PM

1 reply

Apr 22, 2015 1:07 AM in response to kn0789

I believe you are referring to the Yosemite feature which allows Mac access to your iPhone:

iMessage is for you and anyone texting over Wi-Fi/Cellular using an Apple iOS device or Mac with iMessage installed. Should you be using an iPhone and you text a group of friends, those with iMessage would receive an iMessage, however those with non-iOS devices would simply receive a regular SMS, as obviously they don't have iMessage installed.

HOWEVER. What you can do is link your MacBook with you iPhone, to allow your Mac to access your phone and send SMS message directly from your phone (but using your Mac).

This is not done through iMessage and Facetime (though it still can be), but instead through your phone’s voice and data plan. You can message contacts that don’t have iMessage, and call landline phones without paying an additional fee. This feature is not enabled by default, but it’s easy to start using.

Follow these steps:

First, make sure your iPhone and Mac are connected to the same wireless network. There’s no way to hook the phone up to Ethernet, of course, so Wi-Fi is the only way your Mac and iPhone can talk.

After that, sign in with your iCloud account on both devices. You almost certainly have this account already, but if you don’t, registration is mandatory. There’s no way for the iPhone and Mac to communicate without being signed in to iCloud.

Now, open the Messages app on your Mac. Go to Preferences and, in the window that opens, hit the Accounts tab. You will see iCloud listed among your active accounts. Make sure it’s selected, and then check the “Enable this account” box as well as the box next to your phone number. Also make sure that the “Start new conversations from” drop-down menu has your phone number selected.

There are also settings in this menu that can connect iMessage with other commonly used accounts, like Gmail. Selecting the checkboxes next to these accounts will let you send and receive messages to other services through iMessage.

Now there’s one last step. Open your Mac’s System Preferences, and then click the General icon. Near the bottom, you’ll see a checkbox for “Allow HandOff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.” Hit it, and you’re done!

Good luck!

iMessages on MacBook Pro not sending to non-iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.