Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted "photos library.photolibrary" file

Ugh. CleanMyMac2 recognized the new Photos file as an "large & old file" instead of a system file and I stupidly listened to it and deleted it. Now I am getting "Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary” and I don't know where the photos (if they still exist) would live. I need to restore the file and find the 30gb of photos. The system file I deleted was only 4.6gb which leads me to believe they must be somewhere on the computer.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 7:21 PM

1 - get rid of CleanMyMac2 - it is essentially Malwear and has destroyed many iphoto libraries and even systems - and it is useless - you rMac does not get "dirty" - all the required cleaning is builtin to the OS

2 - do you have a backup?

3 - if your iPhoto library intact in your Picures folder? If so hold down the option key while launching Photos and select it - Photos will do its job again

4 - again get rid of CleamMyMac2 and never run it and anything like it again - including MacKeeper as another example of a really bad actor

LN

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2015 7:21 PM in response to drea3436

1 - get rid of CleanMyMac2 - it is essentially Malwear and has destroyed many iphoto libraries and even systems - and it is useless - you rMac does not get "dirty" - all the required cleaning is builtin to the OS

2 - do you have a backup?

3 - if your iPhoto library intact in your Picures folder? If so hold down the option key while launching Photos and select it - Photos will do its job again

4 - again get rid of CleamMyMac2 and never run it and anything like it again - including MacKeeper as another example of a really bad actor

LN

Apr 22, 2015 3:23 AM in response to LarryHN

I will take your suggestion to stop using CleanMyMac.

Unfortunately it is a perfect storm - no back up and this is what I get when I click on the one icon that says iphoto

"Cannot open migrated library The content of the iPhoto library “iPhoto Library” has already been migrated to Photos. Open Photos to view your library or use a compatible version of iPhoto to open this iPhoto library."

Apr 22, 2015 5:24 AM in response to drea3436

I have no idea if this will work, but after migrating the iPhoto library to Photos, the extension of the iPhoto Library is changed to ".migratedphotolibrary." You might try changing that back to ".photolibrary" (so the full name is iPhoto Library.photolibrary) & see if Photos will import it again.

EDIT: And get & use a suitable backup plan!!! Everybody needs one.

EDIT #2: The filename extension might be hidden in the regular Finder view, so change it from the Get Info window.

Apr 22, 2015 5:34 AM in response to drea3436

Unfortunately it is a perfect storm - no back up and this is what I get when I click on the one icon that says iphoto

"Cannot open migrated library The content of the iPhoto library “iPhoto Library” has already been migrated to Photos. Open Photos to view your library or use a compatible version of iPhoto to open this iPhoto library."

Open iPhoto from your Applications folder. It will present you with a warning, that the library has already been migrated, but there will be a button "Open iPhoto".

Use that button. iPhoto will revert the library to a "not migrated" iPhoto Library, and then you can launch again Photos to try migrating again.

Do not uninstall either iPhoto or the iPhoto Library, until you are completely satisfied that Photos is working well with your Photos Library, and you are sure, that the workflow suits you. Otherwise wait for the next Photos updates, before you abandon iPhoto. Since Apple is no longer selling iPhoto, it will be getting more and more difficult to revert to iPhoto, if you do not backup and safe the state you are having now.

Apr 22, 2015 7:04 PM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

Open iPhoto from your Applications folder. It will present you with a warning, that the library has already been migrated, but there will be a button "Open iPhoto".

Use that button. iPhoto will revert the library to a "not migrated" iPhoto Library, and then you can launch again Photos to try migrating again.

I suspect from the "use a compatible version of iPhoto" message that the OP's installed version of iPhoto is v.9.6 or earlier & won't run on 10.10.3.

Apr 22, 2015 8:30 PM in response to drea3436

Well, if everything you care about was in your iPhoto library before all of this happened, the good news is that you have not lost your photos. The bad news is that retrieving them all out of the iPhotos database file (it's a container just like an app file is that you can open by right clicking and choosing to Show Package Contents) is going to be a pain in the rear because of the multitude of folders they will be nestled in which I believe all just have numeric names that will make no sense. You will have to open every single one of them and copy the files out so they can be imported again to Photos. This here is the worst case scenario but all things considered, it sure beats losing your precious photos. They are all inside of that iPhotos data file in tons of folders.

I think too based on the error you reported that your existing iPhoto hadn't been updated to the most recent version before 10.10.3 was installed which older versions are not compatible with. They won't open and there's no place now to download a newer one. So I don't think you'll ever be running that iPhoto app you have again unless you revert to an earlier version of OS X over it. I wouldn't bother myself but that's up to you.

I absolutely agree with the very sound advice to avoid system cleaning products, etc. The ones on the web are bad news as a rule. There are some light duty ones on the app store but really they are not needed. As mentioned above, the system does a good job of taking care of itself. There's no need to obsess over it and waste time and money doing so. It's designed so we don't need to do that.

I don't want to rub salt in the wound so please take this in the spirit in which it is intended, to help you. Before you do anything else about this at all, buy yourself a 1 TB USB 3.0 external hard disk which should run around $100. or maybe less on Amazon.com for example. I would recommend the Western Digital brand personally as I have found them to be Mac compatible whereas I had trouble with a Seagate that would not work properly with Time Machine even though it was branded as being especially for the Mac. They conceded the problem was on their end and offered me a refund to their credit but I would not go with them again after that. So that's my advice for a disk drive. Do yourself a huge favor and attend to this right now so that while working to fix this it becomes impossible to lose your photos. Time Machine works very well, is completely unobtrusive backing up in the background hourly or however you need to use it if on a mobile Mac and it is a very simple affair to recover lost files from previous daily, weekly and monthly backups as needed when a disaster like this strikes. Time Machine is the nicest, easiest, most reliable backup program I have ever used and I've been using personal computers since Apple IIs were around.

You will never regret the money spent on a backup drive to protect you against loss. Yes, you can put stuff up in the cloud but Time Machine backs up the entire system for you so no matter what gets screwed up, deleted or lost it can be recovered. So, I really hope you will do that for yourself so you never, ever have to deal with a situation like this again. Next time could be worse. What if the photos really were gone? Can you imagine? Don't let it happen to you.

So, in my opinion while it is going to be some work, the simple and foolproof way of recovering from this would be to run a full backup with Time Machine first. Then stash the existing Photos library file in case you wind up wanting it for something along the way here. Once you've made a copy someplace safe, trash the one in the pictures folder and fire up Photos to create a brand new empty one. Then make a copy of your iPhotos library file and stash the original someplace safe. These will already be in Time Machine at this point but I like to play it safe. With that done, right click the iPhotos library file and go about the business of navigating through all the folders within it, moving out all the photos you come upon as you go. Later you can import all of that into Photos which will using the metadata help organize it somewhat by dates, etc. and you can go from there. This is a pain but it is simple and guaranteed to work. It is not complicated. It is just work is all.

By the way, the reason I say to move the photos out of the iPhoto library is simply to help you keep track of what you are doing and so you will know for sure when you have gotten them all. To facilitate this once each folder has been emptied of the photos you want, delete it. Remember, we made a backup copy so we can do this stuff without worry and we also have it backed up on an external drive with Time Machine at this point. So you can do this stuff without worry to the extra copy of the library. In this scenario you have two other untouched copies to fall back on if anything goes awry but I don't see that happening.

Another word of caution. I would make it a routine to check for updates at least weekly so you don't miss any important ones like the iPhoto one you don't have now. You could use the Reminders app to make a little reminder to do it Fridays or something. This will help you a lot more than a destructive cleaning utility.

So I hope all that is helpful to you. I especially hope that you will take my advice to stop right now and attend to the Time Machine backup before doing anything else. Then you'll protect yourself against really losing them all somehow.

If you have a Mac using friend with the most recent iPhoto app, using a copy of that as directed above may be your salvation and save you the work I just outlined. However, if that is not an option the method I outlined above will work assuming nothing has been done to your iPhoto file to remove the photos from it which I very much doubt has happened here from what you describe.

By the way, meaning to help further here i just looked inside my stored away iPhoto library so i could tell you where your photos are. When you right click and choose "Show Package Contents" from the menu, the library file will be opened in Finder. You'll see a bunch of folders here and some files, etc. The folder you want to open at this point is called "Masters." This is where your photos live. Inside this folder you will find more folders, each one labeled by year for the year of all the photos in that particular folder. When you open one of those, the fun begins as you find number folders to open probably multiple levels deep until you arrive at one with a bunch of photos in it. That's all there is to it. You just keep moving through all the folders, moving out all the pictures and deleting each one when done to help maintain your sanity, I mean keep you place in what you are doing and that's that.

I hope that last bit makes things clearer and possibly takes a little fear out of this. Honestly, it isn't complicated after all you will find once you being finding and moving all your photos. And if you have the backup I've been harping on you about you won't have to worry about a thing while doing this nor in the future.

Don't feel too badly here. A lot of us, myself included, had to learn this by suffering disaster first too. You aren't alone there.

Apr 22, 2015 8:44 PM in response to Linmukai

I forgot to mention despite my wall of text there that some folders will just have more folders in them. Just make sure to open every single folder as you go along and you'll find everything. Don't delete any folder you have not opened. If there is just another folder in there, open that one too and so on so you check each and every one.

Apr 22, 2015 8:55 PM in response to drea3436

If you can't find iPhoto, look under purchases in the app store and place it in the dock. As of now both programs your sharing the files that are your photos. There not lost yet. I just did this today to see what I missed and what Photos should upgrade to!

And really, no backup?? Have at least 2-3!! Hard drives do not break at convenient times.

May 30, 2015 2:23 PM in response to drea3436

I will take your suggestion to stop using CleanMyMac.

Don't just stop using it but uninstall it according to the developer's instructions. You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name and the developer's name in the file name. For example for CleanMyMac you'd do two searches:

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

While your at it download and run Etrecheck. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here (and recommended by Apple Support personnel) in the ASC to help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

User uploaded file

Oct 8, 2015 4:14 PM in response to Linmukai

I have basically the same problem, but it was caused manually rather than by CleanMyMac. I tried to follow the advice above (including the back up as step one), but I can't find the iPhotos library file. I have a folder titled iPhoto in Library=>Documentation=>Applications. The only thing inside this folder is a pdf titled Acknowledgements. What appears to be the iPhotos app is in my Macintosh HD=>Applications folder, with a circle with a slash through it. When I right click on it and select Show Package Contents, there is a Contents folder inside. None of the folder inside, or folders within folders, appear to have a library inside of them. Is this the right place to be looking? Or did I delete my library file and SOL?

Oct 8, 2015 4:21 PM in response to BenScrewedHisMac

The library is not located inside the application. Download and run Find Any File to search for a file named "historicalmarker.plist" in the file name. This is a file is found in only Photos libraries.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages. If there's a Photos library hiding somewhere on your hard drive FAF will find it.

Feb 24, 2016 4:57 PM in response to drea3436

None of the suggested resolutions worked for me. BUT- I found easy solution.

Clk on the MAC HD icon, navigate thru "users" to "deleted users" to "pictures". Should find 2 folders (equal sized): 1 labelled “Photos Library.photoslibrary”, the other labelled “Photos Library.migratedphotoslibrary”. Clk on them- one will not open > trash it, the other will open "Photos" app and directions will come up to use that folder. GOOD- app will go thru each file and 'make it readable' by "Photos". You then should see the 'new' “Photos Library.photoslibrary” in the MAC HD Library.

This solved problem for me - all done by Apple but they didn't tell us about it !!!!

Deleted "photos library.photolibrary" file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.