Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I update the OS without the original Apple ID?

I recently found out that my brother used my Apple ID when he was setting up his iMac because he did not have one of his own (I had shared my password with him years ago). I found this problematic because I use the Apple ID with my iPhone and do not want my Apple ID and everything on my iPhone associated with the iMac.

Is it possible to link a new Apple ID with the iMac, and if so, can the iMac be updated normally afterwards? His only concern is that he wants to be able to update the OS when the time comes without the old Apple ID. He also does not want to have to delete everything on the computer, which I can understand.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 7:14 PM

2 replies

Apr 21, 2015 7:26 PM in response to BlondieSue920

You will have to remove any software obtained with the old Apple ID. This includes OS X. So you might as well erase the drive and start from scratch. But you cannot "link" an Apple ID to the software. That is done when the software is purchased.

If your brother wants to erase the drive in the future and reinstall his own software, then he can certainly do that.

Apr 21, 2015 7:45 PM in response to BlondieSue920

I recently found out that my brother used my Apple ID when he was setting up his iMac because he did not have one of his own

He also does not want to have to delete everything on the computer, which I can understand.

Very bad idea as he is, inadvertantly, running a bootleg copy of the OS and apps. He or you need to erase the drive and start from scratch with him establishing and using his own Apple ID. Anything obtained at the app store - OS or apps - is tied to the Apple ID used to obtain it and the license is not transferable.

Can I update the OS without the original Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.