Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding new contact(s) and or editing existing contacts , in OSX Contacts, is slow and takes to long since upgrade to Yosemite

When entering a new contact or editing existing contacts in OSX Contacts the data entered is sluggish rendering Contacts

unusable, at this time, for entry of new contacts. Also impractical to use at this time overall for anything other than reading

existing contact data.

Example:

When I type 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 it takes 11 seconds for the typing to end up in the Contact field I type it in.

Working with Apple via 30 day free support available after an upgrade. Tech had me reload a fresh version of Yosemite. This did not

assist in any way.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.4 GHz Intel\4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 5:51 PM

8 replies

Apr 21, 2015 7:58 PM in response to Googleperplexed

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Apr 23, 2015 1:38 PM in response to Googleperplexed

Could you identify the MacBook build model year and series with accuracy, please?

Since there is a new MacBook model, and also vintage 2006 to 2010 models, plus

various builds of MacBook Pro and Air models it does help to see if you may be in

a hardware status where resetting the SMC may help. Or to check the hardware via

an included test or diagnostic, since that is a matter that could have been tested at

an Apple Store with Genius. A new system installation won't help if the HDD is too full.

Or if the computer is starved for RAM, or if you have re-installed third-party antivirus

or some other scanning software that keeps the processor busy; or adware/malware.

Should you reply to Linc's request for information, he may be able to offer further tests

to find the cause of the problem. Otherwise, it could be one of several things.

If you do not have a new MacBook, then the hosts could relocate this thread to an

appropriate ASC discussion area so it would be relevant to later readers...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 24, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Googleperplexed

The top item in the ASC Notebooks section shows the new MacBook model

Down the list, a earlier MacBook series ran from 2006 to 2010, appears...

Recently with the advent of the newest model for sale, the MacBook name

has been revisited with new product and a new ASC discussion forum area.

Your Aluminum Late 2008 MacBook 13-inch model was made similar to a

later MacBook Pro unibody model upgrade, and sometimes gets confused

with that series, while it remains to be identified as a MacBook build model.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks

A host can move this thread, so a duplicate is Not necessary. Later it

may be moved there and your link should still allow you access then.

In the meantime, I suggest you try to accommodate the instruction kindly

left by Linc Davis who happened to offer you some advice on this matter.

Which Apple Tech were you referring to in regard to your recent reply?

Did you call Apple Care or pay for a single issue help topic with Support?

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

May 12, 2015 7:01 AM in response to K Shaffer

I understand your point now regarding this being posted in the wrong forum. When I originally started this post I saw Macbook was the first and top left visual choice. I did not see the need to read every other option since I own a Macbook. Now going back I see if I read the other choices I would have seen an area to post more specific to the older model Mac I own.

I also updated the My Product section with the following: 13" Aluminum Late 2008 4gig ram

One other tid bit. When observing Contacts within the Activity Monitor any time I edit in Contacts the CPU Time jumps to as high as 91%.

This is only with one User Account. I created a new Admin test account , moved the Contact information to this account and have no issues with sluggishness.

I have been to the Genius bar , front counter, and hardware is fine. Further testing for hardware issues requires leaving my Mac to be tested in the "back" of the Genius bar. I have yet to arrange this.

Useful point: Apple provides 30 day complimentary support , on older machines as well, for those who upgraded to Yosemite. All the hours I have spent

with Apple Advisors and at the Apple Genius bar have been at not cost to me.

Thanks for you input.

May 15, 2015 1:42 PM in response to Googleperplexed

I followed the "wisdom" of wizdomonwheels at this post resulting in the RESOLUTION of this posted issue.

Contacts on Mavericks 10.9.1 is slow and not adding new contacts. Can anyone assist with a fix?

Adding information in a Contact Field (other than the Note section which has no bad affect) still consumes far to much CPU %. The issue may get worse again over time. But for now Contacts is not zippy but functional.

Adding new contact(s) and or editing existing contacts , in OSX Contacts, is slow and takes to long since upgrade to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.