Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making Blu-rays from .mov files

I want to burn Blu-rays from some of my QuickTime .mov files. I don't need to do any editing, just burn the Blu-ray, with chapters.

I have Toast 12, and it does a good job of making HD Blu-ray discs. However, its ability to make a menu system with chapters is lacking.

Looking for any other ideas or alternatives.

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 12:19 PM

Well you can certainly add chapters to a video file that you import into Compressor (or FCP X) and encode/burn a Blu Ray disk with very basic menus. Other options are limited for Macs. As you probably know, Adobe Encore should be able to do what you want but you'd need to subscribe to Premiere.

Russ

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Ziatron

Well you can certainly add chapters to a video file that you import into Compressor (or FCP X) and encode/burn a Blu Ray disk with very basic menus. Other options are limited for Macs. As you probably know, Adobe Encore should be able to do what you want but you'd need to subscribe to Premiere.

Russ

Apr 22, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Russ H

I was hoping for something similar to iDVD, but for Blu-rays. Can I create chapters with Compressor or QuickTime ?

As you probably know, Adobe Encore should be able to do what you want but you'd need to subscribe to Premiere.

Subscribing to software is something I plan to avoid for as long as possible. Friends keep pointing me to various excellent solutions in the Windows environment. As a Mac user from the very beginning it is sad to see Apple walking away from its dominance in video editing.

Right now I am able to burn Blu-rays using Toast 12. I can set chapters using a couple of time options. Every 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc. My real frustration is that there is no way to test the Blu-ray disc prior to burning. As you may know, with iDVD and Apple's DVD Player you can do a full check out on the final disc prior to burning to disc.

Apr 26, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Ziatron

You can create chapters in Compressor or in the Quicktime file itself using QTEdit - you need to buy that program from Digital Rebellion with a bunch of other stuff for $99, or you can get a 15 day trial for free if you only need it for one project.

Compressor, like Toast, can only create basic menus, and the only reasonable option for creating menus similar to what you used to be able to do with DVD Studio Pro (keep you old version for DVD's: you can't get it from Apple anymore!) is Encore, which is part of a bigger Adobe package. You cannot get Encore by itself 😠

Making Blu-rays from .mov files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.