Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 10.1.1 Waveshell AU crash

Logic keeps crashing while attempting to open on any existing project(s) that have Waves plugins active. If I remove the Waveshell-AU 9.3.component, the problem goes away. I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled the software, even going as far as to find older and newer versions of the software, but the problem still persists. I have noticed that the Audio Units Manager doesn't rescan for the units even after I uninstall them. Perhaps there is a remnant of of Waves on my machine that I have missed? I've removed as components and searched the Library for any Waves-related files. All is quiet on the Waves support page. Any suggestions? I am running OS 10.9.5 on a 2014 iMac.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:43 PM

14 replies

Apr 21, 2015 7:15 PM in response to Harley_B_Rollin

I assume you did run the Waves AU Reg Utility first.... Found in Applications/Waves/Waveshells folder....after installing the Waves plugins but before you launched Logic Pro?

This is Waves 'special' validation app that sets up all the AU plugins for use in Logic... You must run the same version of the AU Reg Util that goes with the version of the plugins you have installed...

In also assume you ran the Waves License App too before you did anything to set up the licenses for all your Waves Plugins?

I believe these instructions for uninstalling Waves, are still valid...

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/uninstall-waves-plugins-mac/

Apr 21, 2015 8:55 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thanks for the response!

Yup, did all of the above. Here's the curious thing, I finally got AU Manager to rescan all my plugins and the project opened up just fine-- everything intact, but as soon as I reloaded project, the same old crash came up. Btw, I also JUST updated to Yosemite...

Currently trying to post a crash report for you...

Apr 21, 2015 9:01 PM in response to Harley_B_Rollin

I also JUST updated to Yosemite...

Ah.. and you also ran the recent Waves & Yosemite fix that is needed....

http://www.waves.com/downloads/v9

(See the blue button, half way down the page..)

Note: Due to a recent issue with Jive and the forums here, you may not be able to post up a crash log directly at this time.. You may have to use something like Dropbox and then provide a link unfortunately.... 😟

Apr 21, 2015 9:07 PM in response to Harley_B_Rollin

You are not the only one with this issue I see, after updating to Yosemite 10.10.3

I found a couple of threads basically reporting the same thing...

I also found this.....

Unless you are 'Ghost Logic' on GS, you may find this thread of interest and help....

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/logic-pro-x/999278-yosemite-10-10-3-lpx.html

Apr 21, 2015 11:03 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Here's a link to a few of my most recent crash reports as well as the very first ones I experienced. The earliest one (4/08/15) in the file wasn't detrimental (as it allowed me back in to Logic) but the next one (4/15/15) locked me out.

Also, just to be clear, I updated to Yosemite TODAY, but have been experiencing the same problem since 4/15/15.

Lastly, I've discovered that I can open projects featuring Waves plugin older than 4/08/15.

Hope this helps.

Apr 22, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Harley_B_Rollin

Well... it does seems its Waveshell that is the cause of the crashes but as to why older projects open is curious....

Is there anything that is not used in the older projects that is being used in the newer ones.. (Like SoundToys for example) or something else that is different between the older ones and the newer ones? (That's not related to OS X and LPX as your current combination is the same whether you open older projects or newer ones...) so Im guessing its another plugin that has changed or is being used.. or somehow an older version of Waves is still being called up in the older versions...

I think the key would be to find out what that is.. as logic (sic) seems to dictate there is something different going on otherwise all projects would crash in a similar manner...

Makes sense?

Cheers..

Nigel

Apr 22, 2015 10:13 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

So far I haven't been able to find a glaring culprit plugin. Typically I stick with ~25 of various Waves, SoundToys, NI, and PSP plugins, so the list is short enough to catch things at a glance. I've only added 1 new plugin, The Little Altar Boy, I'll try removing it, but it has worked like a charm so far. That said, Kramer Tape has crashed my sessions before, but has never locked me out of a project.

I use an old M Audio MobliePre with an ancient driver (the only one that works for 10.9 on). I've read that this can be an culprit to. I'm just throwing things out there...

The only update I have made in the past ~4 months would be the update to Yosemite yesterday.

I found this too. Is this relevant to OS X?

http://www.pendlebury.biz/waves-plugins-crashing-your-daw

Thanks again,

Brian

Apr 22, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Harley_B_Rollin

Hi Brian,

I found this too. Is this relevant to OS X?

It could be related though of course, Windows stores reg keys in a different manner to OS X.

Having said that Waves does some very odd things compared to most plugins during it's installation/validation stuff so who knows...

Personally at this stage, given its fairly obvious it's an issue with Waveshell.. even if it's a conflict of some kind, it's time to deal directly with Waves support to resolve the matter.... Maybe they store a similar file/plist entry to that reg entry in Windows..

Waveshell gets added to the reg key with “IgnoreFreeLibraries” with reference to Cubase (or whatever caused the crash).

....that is causing your problem (It would explain a few things if it did..) and it needs to be removed....

I did a quick search through my testbed system here that has Waves installed... and couldn't find it or anything like it.. but then again I don't have the problem and even if i did, it would be hard to locate if its not named the same.... as a line in/part off one of a multitude of odd things that Waves does..

So, that's my best suggestion.. Contact Waves and see what they come up with, if anything....

Fingers crossed they will actually respond in a timely manner....

Cheers..

Nigel

Apr 22, 2015 1:03 PM in response to Harley_B_Rollin

I don't know what happened....but everything is suddenly working fine!

I went through the steps outlined here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/logic-pro-x/999278-yosemite-10-10-3-lpx.html and found that I had to completely gut my system of any caches or folders related to Waves. I ran the Yosemite fix again and then crossed my fingers. The project opened on the first try, BUT after quitting LPX and trying to reopen the same or other projects, I got the crash again. SO, more or less out of frustration, I went to my Logic folder and tried to open projects from there instead of using the pop up box Logic provides on startup, and everything worked fine! I started going from project to project without quitting Logic. I did this about 8 times before I quit LPX and tried to open an existing project from startup.....and everything works fine now!

I simply don't know enough about computers even being to speculate what this means, but it's working for me 🙂

Maybe you can make sense of this, Nigel. Thanks for everything!

Cheers,

B

Apr 22, 2015 3:48 PM in response to Harley_B_Rollin

Maybe you can make sense of this, Nigel. Thanks for everything!

Not really though when I was doing some research last night, someone else reported much the same thing a while back..

First time he used the 'full uninstall of Waves' fix and then reinstalled... LPX crashed upon opening a project that used Waves.. He tried again and after that it worked fine....

He may have done the same thing as you did because his post was very brief and lacking in detail so who knows.. It's Waves.. Anything is possible!!

Anyhow, the most important thing is, you got the matter resolved and at this stage... that's all that counts 🙂

Good job hanging in there Brian!

Cheers..

Nigel

Mar 12, 2016 11:37 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hello,

don´t know if anybody is still around 🙂 - but I do have the same Problem as mentioned above. Only my "stuff" is a little newer.

I run Logic 10.2.1 and my Waves Shell is 9.6. But whenever I try to start a Waves plug in in Logic it crashes... and the Report mentions, that Waves Shell AU shuts Logic down.

I was trying to go through the steps mentioned in Gearslot but did not work. I deinstalled and reinstalled all my Waves plugins over and over again. Logic crashes. I also followed the steps provides by Waves Suport... did not work either...

so could anyone help out on that? Should I try to reinstall Logic again? 😟

Would be so glad if anyone could offer some assistance....

Logic Pro 10.1.1 Waveshell AU crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.