Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't undo Modify -> Adjust Volume -> Silence. Lost all audio.

I accidently selected the menu item Modify -> Adjust Volume -> Silence while fishing around trying to remember how to add an audio keyframe. It (as expected) silenced all the volume on the selected clip.

I immediately went to undo it (and it correctly said "Undo Silence" in the edit menu) and nothing happened. I have now lost the audio on that clip and can not get it back.

I have done extensive keyframe editing to the video all throughout the clip so I am extremely hesitant to delete it in the project and place it in there again. I checked the original Compound clip and the audio is still on there so it did not seem to destructively go after the original, just the audio in this project's "copy" of the clip.

Any advice on how I could replace the audio without losing all the video edits would be so very helpful...

Running FCP X 10.2 under Yosemite 10.10.3

Thanks in advance...

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:19 PM

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 6:39 PM in response to Piano Guy

NNot quite clear what's going on where. You have a compound clip, and you silenced the compound? Where the keyframes on the compound or inside the compound. Can't reproduce the undo problem. After youve silenced a clip, which removes any keyframing, to get control of the level back, either drag the level line off the floor, or use the Reset function next to Silence in the menus.

Apr 22, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for the response Tom. Here's more detail ...

I have a long green screen talking head shot that, in its final form, has a bunch of text annotations going up throughout the talking, sliding of the shot left and right to make more room for text on sides, shrinking and warping the shot in a corner to make room for illustrations as the talking continues, etc. So, I got the chroma key tweaked and mastered the audio on that raw head shot by itself before any other editing. I then made it a compound clip of it, and have that compound in my project on the main storyline and am working through it doing all the editing adding text and moving things around.

>>You have a compound clip, and you silenced the compound?

So yes, that "silence" command I applied was to that compound clip that is on the main storyline.

>>Where the keyframes on the compound or inside the compound.

There were no audio keyframes. (That is what I was trying to remember the process for and I was fiddling around trying to find/remember when I selected silence). All the animation keyframes I mentioned in the original post are video keyframes manipulating the image as described above. And those keyframes are ON the compound clip in this project, not inside the original.

>> After youve silenced a clip, which removes any keyframing, to get control of the level back, either drag the level line off the floor, or use the Reset function next to Silence in the menus.

The level line is at 0db, the audio seems to be completely gone (not muted, or leveled down) from the clip that had the "silence" command applied. "Reset" did nothing as well.

Here's a screen shot of a spot where there is a jump cut in the same clip, which created two separate clips from identical source. The one to the right is the one that was selected when "Silence" was applied that I've lost the audio on, the one to the left is as it should be. You'll notice the level line is consistent between the two, but there is no audio whosoever on the second clip. It's as though that Silence command didn't mute the audio, but instead deleted it entirely from the clip...

User uploaded file

Again, thanks for any sleuthing help. It's very much appreciated... I'm in no way a "beginner" and would actually consider myself somewhat of a power user, but this one floored me (not many variables) and I'm wondering if it might simply be a bug (yet you said you could no replicate it...).

Scott

Can't undo Modify -> Adjust Volume -> Silence. Lost all audio.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.