Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD My Book external drive cannot be accessed

Since April 3, 2015, I have lost the use of time machine back up using WD My Book external hard drive. I have WD SmartWare on my desktop but I cannot get My book to open. It appears to have disappeared. I have tried re downloading the drivers and updating the firmware but nothing works. The hard drive shows it is categorizing the files and shows each type, but I cannot access them

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 7:14 PM

Uninstall the WD software. then reset the SMC 2-3 times and see if the drive shows up. If it does not then change to another cable.

Intel iMac SMC and PRAM resets

4 replies

Apr 23, 2015 7:17 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I tried this but it did not help. I did confirm that the external drive is working by connecting it to another IMac computer running Mavericks. Not sure if the recent update to Yosemite that supposedly fixed issues with time machine has messed this up or not. Trying to work with WD as well to see which side the issues is on. I remember a similar issue with Mavericks was updated making time machine unusable with the external drive.

WD My Book external drive cannot be accessed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.