Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hoping to get away from yosemite

Is there a way to find an older OS X version - something other than Yosemite?

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 6:48 AM

If your Mac is newer and originally came with Yosemite, there is no way to run an older OS X version other than what was originally installed on your Mac.

The workaround is to install something called virtual environment software such as Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion or the free, open source virtual environment called Virtual Box. Once you install and launch a virtual environment, you can install an older version of OS X inside this virtual environment software and install any older software inside the older OS X version, too!

You will need to seriously increase the amount of RAM in your Mac as running an OS within another running virtual computer environment will take more RAM to run as quickly as an OS X that is just natively installed onto your Mac's hard drive.

Correct, compatible and reliable Mac RAM can ONLY be purchased from online RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (http://www.macsales.com).

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2015 6:48 AM in response to simfromasheville

If your Mac is newer and originally came with Yosemite, there is no way to run an older OS X version other than what was originally installed on your Mac.

The workaround is to install something called virtual environment software such as Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion or the free, open source virtual environment called Virtual Box. Once you install and launch a virtual environment, you can install an older version of OS X inside this virtual environment software and install any older software inside the older OS X version, too!

You will need to seriously increase the amount of RAM in your Mac as running an OS within another running virtual computer environment will take more RAM to run as quickly as an OS X that is just natively installed onto your Mac's hard drive.

Correct, compatible and reliable Mac RAM can ONLY be purchased from online RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (http://www.macsales.com).

Apr 21, 2015 9:56 PM in response to cknow2002

Why are you hijacking someone else's thread posting?

If you need help with your Mac, please start your own individual thread post inquiry.

"Threadjacking" is considered rude and especially so when you are interrupting another user's own Mac issues and query.

Your Mac issue is different from that of the original user who posted.

Thank you.

Apr 21, 2015 10:11 PM in response to MichelPM

Sorry, just seeking answers,not trying to upset anyone's sense of order. I read the faq for etiquette to suggest that it is rude to start a new thread if one can find the question already being discussed. So confused now. But for the record, I did start a new thread and got no response. If criticizing ones protocol is more important here than offering assistance, well, I'll look elsewhere. I AM "Hoping to get away from yosemite"

Apr 22, 2015 6:51 AM in response to cknow2002

There are plenty of answers to your query here on these forums.

Try searching these forums under

reverting to previous OS X versions

and see what you find.

This question gets asked a LOT and many of us are tired of answering the same ole' questions

If you were smart enough to create a bootable system backup, then the older OS X reverting process is very easy.

If no bootable backup, then the older OS X reversion process will be that much more difficult and tedious to accomplish.

Apr 21, 2015 11:57 PM in response to cknow2002

To use Search, see the upper right side of the browser window with the ASC

discussions page, and click on the tiny "search" word, that takes you to here:

https://discussions.apple.com/search?q=search

If the computer did not ship with one of the last four OS X installed in it, and

if it has system install-restore DVD media, then you may be able to erase

the hard disk drive and start over from scratch, and re-install everything.

Apple Support Communities:

The last four major OS X...

OS X Yosemite
OS X Mavericks
OS X Mountain Lion
Mac OS X v10.7 Lion

If the computer did ship with one of the last four systems, and you erase the

entire hard disk drive (so no Recovery partitions remain) then you may lose

the ability to restore the original system that was not included on DVD media.

If you upgrade from Mavericks, and happen to erase the entire HDD, it would

not be possible to restore or recover to Mavericks, after Yosemite upgrade.

And Mavericks is not available to upgrade to from OS X 10.6.8/10.7.5/10.8.5

•Apple OS X - Support:

http://www.apple.com/support/osx/

Generally these four systems either shipped on a new computer configuration

or were not available on DVD install-restore media, in general. They were on

the Apple server as download upgrades. And there are many details lacking

in my generalization of these items, so become familiar with the Apple Support

database and articles available online, or in a working system OS X Help file.

Before upgrading (to fully new system) a good backup method should be used

to be able to save the exact complete system in full, in offline backup bootable

clone or working copy of all the computer hard drive contents. This would be

best done to an externally enclosed self-powered hard drive, with fast accessible

port speeds so the computer would be able to read/write to the external drive.

That is about the only way to save older applications and their supporting system

version, in a working capacity; also it may be possible if the computer has a large

hard disk drive with unused capacity, to partition and prepare it for a second OS X

on that other partition, then the computer could dual-boot or restart in the older OS.

Hopefully your experience and learning about how things work can help you solve

future issues and resolve problems once you find sources of additional information.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 22, 2015 11:27 AM in response to MichelPM

My primary problem seems to be accessing the desktop of my original user profile. I made another, which allows me internet access to all my accounts. Unfortunately, I'm basically locked away from my HD. I can sign in as a guest or the new user profile, but get the beach ball after entering the password for my "real" profile. I know this is a different question altogether, but this is the major problem encountered after I "upgraded" to Yosemite.I've tried to reinstall Snow Leopard from the disk; I can't. Also tried that from startup, but get no response from using the option plus down arrow. That did work once, and I repaired the disk and permissions. Thanks to all in advance....

Apr 22, 2015 1:30 PM in response to simfromasheville

If you do not have any backups available, then the reverting/restoring process becomes much more complicated and involves purchasing a good quality external drive and backing up your current system to that drive, using either OS X Time Machine App or a data cloning app, such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable copy (clone) of your current sysyem, then erasing, reformatting your Mac's internal hard drive and now your only options to installng an OS X version is doing a clean install of your Mac's original installed OS X version, then upgrading, again, to 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.9 Mavericks.OS X 10.9 Mavericks is no longer available for download and Apple has not made OS X 10.9 Mavericks available in any other form to be able to redownload and install.

So, your only upgrade option is to purchase a download code for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

If no backup, you will NEED to get a complete backup, first. Then, you can boot from your Snow Leopard install disc. Once booted from the SL install disc, quit the Installer app to return to the OS X Finder. Then, launch the Disk Utility app on the disc to erase your Mac's hard drive, then relaunch the Installer app to re reinstall OS X Snow Leopard. Then update OS X Snow Leopard using the OS X Software Update feature, in the OS X Preferences Panel, to update OS X to 10.6.8. Next, reinstall all of your third party applications, then restore your data from the backup you made.

You will have to reinstall all of your applications and manually copy all of your saved data from the external hard drive back to your Mac.

After all of this is done, use that brand spankin' new external hard drive to make a proper backup of your Mac once your system has been completely restored.

Hoping to get away from yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.