Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix the mail sent (whoosh) sound when disappearing intermittently

After updating to the recent Yosemite 10.10.3 my email no longer makes the 'whoosh' sound when I send email. All other Mac system sounds work fine, just no mail whoosh anymore. I thoroughly checked all the sound system and mail prefs and they are set appropriately at default. There are no earplugs or other sound devices plugged in. In fact, there have been no changes to my setup other than software updates. I quit and restarted Mail and rebooted the Mac, all too no affect.

My system: Mac Pro (late 2013) OSX Yosemite 10.10.3

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), And an iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 10:18 AM

That worked. Thank you.

I only had one "Do Not Disturb" box checked: 'from 10 PM to 7 AM'. I find it very odd that this would disable out-going sfx for Mail 24/7. This is without question a 'bug'

13 replies

Jan 29, 2016 3:12 PM in response to djtnyc

I tried a bunch of the suggestions but what worked (and I found odd) was that even though I had turned off "do not disturb" in system preferences> notifications> do not disturb, when I went to the actual notification center in the upper right corner of my screen, "do not disturb" was still active. I turned it off there, and now I have sounds again. If you don't see it right away, scroll upwards because it sometimes hides above what you see, not sure why they make it do that. I find it odd that turning it off in one place doesn't affect the other. Here's a screenshot of where to look....

User uploaded file

Dec 31, 2016 2:44 PM in response to mikestorck33

I tried with the Apple rep going to system preferences, shutting down the computer, reinstalling the Sierra 10.12.2 operating system (which took quite a bit of time), and finally after reading your recommendation and seeing your illustration, I finally was able to get the "swoosh" sound back on my e-mails plus the sound for receiving e-mails. Thank you!

How to fix the mail sent (whoosh) sound when disappearing intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.