Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install Snow Leopard

I have a 2006 24'' iMac. It now has serious graphic issues and is not usable at all. I understand this is a known issue witht this model and that it has something to do with overheating and CPU/videocard malfunction. I have tried different OSX versions, but there are problems with all of them.

I do not use this iMac anymore, and i am selling it to guy as a "defect computer" (he is fully aware of that the iMac is non functional).

The iMac has now Lion installed on it. The one I am selling it to, has asked me to install Snow Leopard from a retail DVD I have used on this iMac earlier before shipping the machine.

I have done clean installation of different OSX versions many times before, and this is not a problem.

BUT: How can I do this installation of Snow Leopard without doing the final setup of the OS. I would like that when my buyer start up the iMac, he gets the "Welcome" screen where he sets up an admin account on the computer.

Remember I have to be able to eject the SL DVD for shipping the iMac.

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 8:07 AM

What the buyer is instructing you to do is incorrect and violates Apple's license.

To correctly sell or transfer ownership of a Mac, even to someone in your family, you should follow these instructions.

Disregard anything you are unable to accomplish. For example, Step 6 does not apply because your Mac shipped with discs. The buyer will need those discs. If you no longer have them, replacements can be obtained from Apple for a nominal fee.

Refer to What to do before selling or giving away your Mac

1. If you enabled FileVault, disable it in System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
  2. "Deauthorize" your iTunes account. Same for Audible if you have one.
  3. System Preferences > iCloud > de-select "Back to My Mac" and "Find my Mac".
  4. Sign out of iCloud. Select "Delete from Mac" when it appears.

Next: Remove all your personal information by completely erasing the Mac's internal storage.

1. If your Mac shipped with a grey System Install DVD, start your Mac with that disc inserted in the optical drive while holding the c key to boot from it instead of its internal volume, which should be erased before selling it.
  2. If your Mac did not ship with discs, boot OS X Internet Recovery:
    • using three fingers press and hold the following keys: (command), option, and R.
    • With a fourth finger press the power button to turn on the Mac.
    • Keep the other three fingers where they are until you see the "spinning globe" icon.
    • This method forces the Mac to download its originally installed OS from Apple's servers, which will not require an Apple ID to install.
  3. Remove any Open Firmware password if you created one: select Firmware Password Utility from the Utilities menu and remove it.
  4. Select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
  5. Remove any partitions you may have created.
  6. Select the Mac's hard disk icon, then select the "Erase" tab.
  7. Select the "Security Options" button and erase the disk.
    • The more "securely" you erase the disk, the longer it will take.
    • The fastest method is sufficient since all but the most expensive techniques and equipment will be able to recover securely erased data.
  8. When it finishes, quit Disk Utility.
  9. Select Install Mac OS X from the Utilities menu.
    • An Apple ID will not be required. If a prompt for an Apple ID appears, return to Step 5.
    • Do not create any user accounts.
  10. When it finishes, shut down the computer.
  11. If you want to install the bundled apps that were included with your Mac, restart by using your Applications DVD if one was included, and install the bundled apps.

Apps bundled with newer Macs that shipped without discs cannot be transferred. Its new owner must purchase them from the Mac App Store using his or her own Apple ID.

If the Mac is being sold to someone outside the family consider the following additional information:

1. System Install DVDs that came with your Mac should remain with it forever, and must be included with the sale.
  2. Consider including your AppleCare certificate if you bought it, printed documentation, even the box if you still have it.

AppleCare stays with the equipment and is transferable.

3. Execute a bill of sale showing the Mac's serial number.
  4. Once no longer in your possession, remove the Mac from your devices in My Support Profile.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2015 8:07 AM in response to viking bear

What the buyer is instructing you to do is incorrect and violates Apple's license.

To correctly sell or transfer ownership of a Mac, even to someone in your family, you should follow these instructions.

Disregard anything you are unable to accomplish. For example, Step 6 does not apply because your Mac shipped with discs. The buyer will need those discs. If you no longer have them, replacements can be obtained from Apple for a nominal fee.

Refer to What to do before selling or giving away your Mac

1. If you enabled FileVault, disable it in System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
  2. "Deauthorize" your iTunes account. Same for Audible if you have one.
  3. System Preferences > iCloud > de-select "Back to My Mac" and "Find my Mac".
  4. Sign out of iCloud. Select "Delete from Mac" when it appears.

Next: Remove all your personal information by completely erasing the Mac's internal storage.

1. If your Mac shipped with a grey System Install DVD, start your Mac with that disc inserted in the optical drive while holding the c key to boot from it instead of its internal volume, which should be erased before selling it.
  2. If your Mac did not ship with discs, boot OS X Internet Recovery:
    • using three fingers press and hold the following keys: (command), option, and R.
    • With a fourth finger press the power button to turn on the Mac.
    • Keep the other three fingers where they are until you see the "spinning globe" icon.
    • This method forces the Mac to download its originally installed OS from Apple's servers, which will not require an Apple ID to install.
  3. Remove any Open Firmware password if you created one: select Firmware Password Utility from the Utilities menu and remove it.
  4. Select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
  5. Remove any partitions you may have created.
  6. Select the Mac's hard disk icon, then select the "Erase" tab.
  7. Select the "Security Options" button and erase the disk.
    • The more "securely" you erase the disk, the longer it will take.
    • The fastest method is sufficient since all but the most expensive techniques and equipment will be able to recover securely erased data.
  8. When it finishes, quit Disk Utility.
  9. Select Install Mac OS X from the Utilities menu.
    • An Apple ID will not be required. If a prompt for an Apple ID appears, return to Step 5.
    • Do not create any user accounts.
  10. When it finishes, shut down the computer.
  11. If you want to install the bundled apps that were included with your Mac, restart by using your Applications DVD if one was included, and install the bundled apps.

Apps bundled with newer Macs that shipped without discs cannot be transferred. Its new owner must purchase them from the Mac App Store using his or her own Apple ID.

If the Mac is being sold to someone outside the family consider the following additional information:

1. System Install DVDs that came with your Mac should remain with it forever, and must be included with the sale.
  2. Consider including your AppleCare certificate if you bought it, printed documentation, even the box if you still have it.

AppleCare stays with the equipment and is transferable.

3. Execute a bill of sale showing the Mac's serial number.
  4. Once no longer in your possession, remove the Mac from your devices in My Support Profile.

Apr 22, 2015 8:07 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you very much for the answer

This iMac is not sold to be used, its useless. One needs to replace the logic board/ video card if the machine is to be used. I sell it as a "defect device" and I suppose the buyer is going to use components from it to repair other machines. I have not used this machine for many years. Neither do I use any installation of the Snow Leopard disc I bought many years ago. My current iMac came with another copy of OSX installed.

I really do not understand that it is illegal for me to sell an iMac I no longer use together with a software I no longer use. But then again I must say I have never read the complete liscens agreements, so it is probably correct.

I can ship the machine with no OS installed. I do not want to do anything illegal.

Apr 22, 2015 9:16 AM in response to viking bear

... I sell it as a "defect device" and I suppose the buyer is going to use components from it to repair other machines.

That makes perfect sense, but then why is he asking you do install Snow Leopard on it? If you were to do that and retain the original Snow Leopard installation media or a copy of it, it clearly violates Apple's end user license Agreement.

It's easy enough to comply with. Here is a typical Apple OS X license: https://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/MacOSX.htm. It may be different for your jurisdiction, but Section 3 (Transfer) is essentially unchanged from the earliest Macintosh operating system in 1984 through today.

You don't need an operating system to sell Mac parts. I am not in position to decide upon its legality, but it seems unethical, at best, for the buyer to make that request. That's the reason I wrote what he's asking you to do is incorrect.

Edit to add: the retail Snow Leopard DVD you purchased is yours to keep, include with the sale, or sell separately. Installing SL on your Mac, selling it, and keeping that disc is prohibited by the license's Transfer paragraph. If the buyer wants to do that, it's his problem. Don't make it yours.

Clean install Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.