Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.3 supplemental broke my iMac

When I applied 10.10.3 "Supplemental" update, my late 2009 iMac became unbootable, i.e., internal HD is deemed unbootable and it booted to recovery mode.

Once there, disk utility checks were all OK to no avail.

It is as if the supplemental was causing the bug it was supposed to fix.

So, via recovery, Yosemite was reinstalled, and then it lead to infinite kernel panic loop during boot.

Booting to Safe mode was not possible, only to recovery.

After erasing the HD from recovery, I restored from Time Machine which was partially successful with some missing files.

It's 10.10.3 now without the supplemental.

Also, Time machine was missing some files in directories that was otherwise being backed up partially.( There were not on exclusion list)

I got lucky this time, but I have lost confidence in TimeMachine backups as well.

I am very disappointed with Apple's software quality of late, including the bug where the screensaver reverting to Nat Geo randomly and Preference Panel crashing when Internet Accounts is opened since 10.10.3.

Those were mostly annoyances, but this screwup was scary.

Since I am operational, I am not really asking for help, but of course, I won't be touching 10.10.3 supplemental and I advise others not to as well, unless you have other pressing reasons.

It'd be helpful if others are having similar experiences chime into this thread.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Late 2009 iMac, 8G Mem

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 7:23 AM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2015 12:32 AM in response to spinmaster

The EXACT same thing has happened to my 2009 iMac. However, I am not operational. I cannot even boot from my FW drive that contains my older Mavericks install. I didn't even download the update, and my auto update was disabled. At some point, after dinner and sitting on my sofa, I heard my iMac reboot (of course with an open project on the desktop). I went to see what had happened, and I witnessed the telltale status bar on the gray screen. It became stuck for about an hour before "jumping" to the login screen. After putting in my info (and hoping to reopen my unfinished files), it became stuck in the "infinite kernel panic loop". It hasn't recovered. As I stated before, it won't reboot from a fw drive. It won't do anything. It's just sitting there with all of my files held hostage while I wait to be sued by my clients. I have NEVER used auto updating, and I am extremely careful about which updates I choose to install. I wait until I read about enough successful installs before I even think about updating the os. Some keen mind decided that I wasn't smart enough to make that decision on my own, and now my iMac is a paperweight... If there were any paper. Sadly, there is not. There are only files and angry clients and possibly an ex-Mac user.

10.10.3 supplemental broke my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.