Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for iOS: How can i sort all of my albums automatically in alphabetical order

Hey there,

first off, why isn't there a a community for the new Photos app?

Anyway, here is my problem:

How can i sort my albums on the new Photos app on iOS?
I think it's not possible at the moment.

I am using the iCloud Photo library and uploadet all of my 15.000 photos from the last 15 years.

And because of that, i now have many many albums on Photos now.

Overall i love the new app and i love the iCloud Photo library, but i cannot sort my albums on the iOS app automatically in alphabetical order.

I can sort albums manual, but who wants that, when you have so many of them???

I have Photos on my Mac too and there i am able to do sort them in alphabetical order. But it is not adopted to iOS or the iCloud Web-App.

Because of that, i have a complete picture chaos on my iPhone and when i am looking for this one pic in that one album it takes me forever to find it.

So please Apple, fix this and we all can live happily ever after!
Thank you!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2018 1:12 AM

Yes, it seems that Photos tries to sort abums and pictures after their original date/time field in the metadata.

But not all this data is correct and after 15 years and copying pictures from one mac to another, some of this metadata is messed up.

So again, this automatically sorting doesn't work. Albums are a total chaos on my iphone.

You can sort your albums on Photos for Mac automatically in alphabetical order.

I would be really helpful if either this sorting would be automatically synced via iCloud on your iOS devices or that you can choose this sorting directly on the Photos App for iOS.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2018 1:12 AM in response to Community User

Yes, it seems that Photos tries to sort abums and pictures after their original date/time field in the metadata.

But not all this data is correct and after 15 years and copying pictures from one mac to another, some of this metadata is messed up.

So again, this automatically sorting doesn't work. Albums are a total chaos on my iphone.

You can sort your albums on Photos for Mac automatically in alphabetical order.

I would be really helpful if either this sorting would be automatically synced via iCloud on your iOS devices or that you can choose this sorting directly on the Photos App for iOS.

Apr 22, 2015 3:46 PM in response to jimsugg

Moments in Photo are the new Events. T

here's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When the library was first migrated there was a folder created titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events are represented by an album in the folder. To open the sidebar if it's not open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window showing all of the albums.

The downside to this simulation is that the Album/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title while viewed in the Folder in the main window or in the sidebar. But they can be sorted manually.

User uploaded file

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

May 18, 2015 4:30 AM in response to Community User

I am struggling with the same issue. I have around 7000 photos sorted in approx 360 albums and would like to sort them alphabetical on iCloud and IOS. As over the years the albums where not build in chronological order it is now one big mess and impossible to find albums or in a decent way on the iCloud and IOS.

I really don't understand why such a basic feature ( sorting albums on name) is not implemented into iCloud Photo and IOS. Also I am missing a feature to selectively sync albums with IOS devices from iCloud. With so many photos archived i do not need them all on my IOS devices as it is occupying a lot of memory.

For me a reason to stop using iCloud and the OIS photo app for showing albums. Fore the time being I am now using another app to keep my albums organized on IOS.

Jun 19, 2015 8:08 AM in response to KiwiAdventure

That have fixed it. In the El Capital version of Photos due out sometime this fall. The following paragraph is from this Apple webpage: Apple OS X El Capitan.

Photos has been fine-tuned to make it even easier to manage your library. Now you can add a location to a single image or to an entire Moment. Naming your favorite people in Faces is faster with a streamlined workflow. You can also sort your albums — and the contents inside them — by date, title, and more.

If we keep asking for it at https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html maybe they'll offer it up sooner with an update.

Photos for iOS: How can i sort all of my albums automatically in alphabetical order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.