Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes changing genres by itself, What to do?

Hello,

Itunes changing genres by itself, and not in a logic way - for example genre: "17".

Few songs every short period.

Does Anyone know how to stop it?

Thank you for your help..

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2015 7:23 AM

It would seem iTunes isn't translating default genres. These can be stored internally as a short numeric code which can be replaced with different text depending on the language setting for iTunes. 17 is the code for Rock. See http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#Appendix_A_-_Genre_List_from_ID3v1 for more. Repairing iTunes ought to replace all of language support files. Should it be needed see the full tear down and rebuild advice in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2015 7:23 AM in response to ssagii

It would seem iTunes isn't translating default genres. These can be stored internally as a short numeric code which can be replaced with different text depending on the language setting for iTunes. 17 is the code for Rock. See http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#Appendix_A_-_Genre_List_from_ID3v1 for more. Repairing iTunes ought to replace all of language support files. Should it be needed see the full tear down and rebuild advice in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

tt2

Jun 5, 2015 8:48 AM in response to ssagii

What language is iTunes set to? See Edit > Preferences > General tab.

Are you using iTunes Match?

What happens if you take a song with this issue and try to assign a different genre, say TEST?

Does that change stick? Can you restore the correct genre, and then does that stick?

Is there any pattern to the songs affected, e.g. all mp3s or all iTunes purchases?

tt2

Jun 6, 2015 5:55 AM in response to ssagii

- using US english

- not using iTunes Match

about the other questions.. i will have to check that.

I can tell u songs from all kinds of genres keep changing, I will try to look better for a pattern of changing. I'm pretty sure a song that has been changed and fixed can have the problem again.

And.. what did u mean with the "TEST" thing?

Jun 6, 2015 6:59 AM in response to ssagii

Say the current genre is 17 when it should be Rock. Change the genre to Test then play the track. iTunes always checks the tags when it plays songs. Check the genre again. Has it stayed as Test or changed back to 17? What happens if you set it to Rock now? There is a potential issue with mp3 files that have multiple embedded tags where iTunes can write to one tag, then later read back unchanged data from another. I'm trying to work out if that might be part of the problem in your case.

tt2

Jun 6, 2015 9:49 AM in response to ssagii

Ok I think I undestand some more now..

it seems a song that I already changed won't continue to get changed in the future, and only some songs of what I played can get changed (randomly). So.. its like the iTunes will keep changing some of the songs I have until he "pass" over the all list.

It doesnt have any pattern I can find out right now but at least it maybe a good sign that someday it will stop changing - after all songs that iTunes dont "get along" will be changed once.

You have any idea how to stop it or do it have to just wait?

Jun 6, 2015 9:56 AM in response to ssagii

Hmm, I have a script called UpdateTagInfo which is normally used to reveal changes made by third party tagging software. Running this might expose all of the tracks that have been changed. See also Getting iTunes & Windows Media Player to play nicely, I hadn't thought about WMP because you'd mentioned numbers, but it has often been the cause of unexpected tag changes.

tt2

Itunes changing genres by itself, What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.