Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change cell format to currency. Numbers ver 3.5.3

can't change cell format to currency, always returns to text format

cells above and below retain currency format

numbers version 3.5.3

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 4:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 4:52 AM

try copying one of the cells that "works", then select the cell in question, paste

Now type in the content you want

5 replies

Dec 9, 2016 2:16 AM in response to bernard204

I had a similar problem converting cells to number format after I had entered some decimal figures. The problem was that my Mac was purchased in France, and although I have configured it to use English as the default display language for all applications, Numbers still thought I was using the French numbering system which uses commas instead of periods (full stops) as the decimal point. Hence the numbers I entered using '.' as the decimal point were considered to be text strings. Numbers therefore refuses to commit the format change. I found this because I entered a series of numbers, one of which was a whole number with no decimal point, and when I tried to sum them, the result only included the whole number. Hope this helps.

Dec 9, 2016 6:59 AM in response to johnnyvandergaz

Hi Johnny,

System Preferences > Language & Region

1. Preferred Languages (add, then drag your preferred language to the top of the list)
  2. Region: Click on the Pop-Up Menu and choose a Region (probably not Australia for you 😉)
  3. Look bottom right to see how your preferences will display

User uploaded file

You may need to quit System Preferences and restart your machine to make those settings "fix".

Please reply if you need more help.

Regards,

Ian.

Can't change cell format to currency. Numbers ver 3.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.