Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently I upgraded to an ipod touch for use exclusively in my car. I expected it to work equally well as my classic in the car - lightning cord, USB port, music. It doesn't. Help!

For many years I used an iPod classic exclusively in my car. It worked flawlessly using a lightning cord and the USB port. Unfortunately the battery stopped charging so I decided to upgrade. I chose an iPod touch, refurbished. Again, it is for use exclusively in my car and only for music - no messages, no camera, no safari, nothing - just music. I synched the new iPod to my iTunes music and happily took it to the car and plugged it in. I expected it to work equally well as my classic in the car - lightning cord, USB port, music. It doesn't. One time when I start the car it plays, the next time, nothing. It's very random and extremely frustrating. I talked to Apple Support and they suggested an AUX cable. I tried that but there is no volume. I have to turn the car stereo up to full and it's still not loud enough. All I want is my music ... every time I get in the car. Help!

iPod touch, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 6:50 AM

4 replies

Apr 22, 2015 10:08 AM in response to lllaass

This might be a good explanation if the iPod touch didn't work at all, but it does work, just not all the time. And I don't know what you mean by an 'older' car. This is a 2010 Lexus, which I don't consider older, plus the car is the static entity in the equation. It hasn't changed, only the iPod changed. It's a cable (and I've tried more than one) between two inanimate objects. I have turned off every setting on the iPod except for the music. I've tried it with and without Bluetooth, but the results are the same - it works, then it doesn't.

Apr 22, 2015 10:20 AM in response to darlene666

I do not understand what you mean by "For many years I used an iPod classic exclusively in my car. It worked flawlessly using a lightning cord and the USB port". The classic and up to and including the 4G iPod touch used the 30-pin connector, The 5G iPod touch was the first to use the Lightning connectory.

2010 is old in the electronics word.

Apr 22, 2015 10:41 AM in response to lllaass

Sorry, semantics. I used the charging cable in the car with the classic, whatever size that may be. Trust me, I know about old electronics since I've been in the business since 1980. In some cases what was developed yesterday is old, but, that doesn't explain why the new iPod works about half the time. If it didn't work at all, then I could agree, perhaps the car needed an upgrade, but it does work, and very well, just not all the time. Must be a millennial!

Recently I upgraded to an ipod touch for use exclusively in my car. I expected it to work equally well as my classic in the car - lightning cord, USB port, music. It doesn't. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.