Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Epson Artisan 835 printer error "stopped filter failed"

After the latest operating system update, I can no longer print to my Epson Artisan 835 printer, connected via a wireless network. I've seen mentions of older filter failed errors, but does anyone else have this issue or a solutions?😢

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 6:52 AM

6 replies

Apr 22, 2015 11:08 AM in response to houstonalle

Linc, I did reset the printer system and that did not fix it. I heard back from Epson support and in two sessions got it fixed. I'm copying the steps from each session below, which will hopefully help someone else.

First Session:

1. Open the User uploaded filemenu, select System Preferences, then Sharing.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • If the Computer Name field is blank, enter a name for your computer
    • If there is a name in the Computer Name field, rename your computer.
  3. Close the Sharing window.
  4. Select System Preferences, Printers & Scanners, then select your printer in the Printer list. Click Options and Supplies.
  5. Select General, if necessary. In the Location: field, enter the computer name you entered in step 2. Click OK.
  6. Try printing again.

That didn't work so I went back to their support and got these instructions:

Session Two:

"

Since you have verified that you have downloaded and installed the proper drivers and you still get the "Stopped - 'Filter' error, my suggestion is that you reset your printer system and re-add the printer. If you re-add the printer and still get the error you will need to repair disk permissions.

To repair disc permissions, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the Disk Utility by selecting Applications -> Utilities -> and then Disk Utility.

2. Select your primary hard drive (the one that you loaded OS X on) and then click the Verify Disk Permissions button.

3. Disk Utility will check your drive for any permission errors. If any errors do appear, click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

4. When it’s finished, you can view everything that was detected and fixed by clicking the Log button in the upper right corner.

To reset printing systems and re-add the printer, please follow steps below:

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Go to menu > System Preferences > Print & Scan or Print & Fax from the View menu. Delete the print queue and remove the printer by clicking on the minus button under the list of printers. Click OK to confirm the removal.

3. Press the CTRL button on the keyboard and click on the white box on the left (where the printers should be listed) and click on Reset Printing System. (Note: This step deletes all installed printers on the list. You will need to re-add all printers installed on this computer)

4. Turn on the printer. Click the plus button. The system should automatically detect the printer. Click the Add button.

5. Restart your computer system.

6. Try printing again."

This worked for me.

Jul 28, 2015 3:09 AM in response to houstonalle

I had the same problem but none of the solutions worked for me. I tried resetting the printer's wireless connection and it failed - when I printed out the report it said there was a wireless conflict, so I changed wireless channels and the problem was fixed. Pity that the only device smart enough to identify the issue was the printer! Wireless conflicts are only going to increase so always worth checking this, if nothing else works.

Yosemite Epson Artisan 835 printer error "stopped filter failed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.