Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD 3.8 - iMac is ''Available'' but report requests are not accepted

Hi,

Running 3.8 on 10.9.5 for both ARD computer and clients.

When querying reports from group of 5 available iMacs, only 4 are successfully executed; iMac number 5 fails task with ''non authorized'' status.

However, I can view and control that iMac number 5, so connectivity appears to be there...

Any ideas?

Also, for that iMac number 5, if I create a task to install a package, it fails as well saying computer is ''Inactive'...; and at the same time, I can take control of that same computer...

Any help?

Thank you in advance and regards.

Luis

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 8:54 AM

6 replies

Apr 22, 2015 11:00 AM in response to ENSR

ARD 3.8 clients cannot screen share on non-yosemite computers. ARD 3.8 client was customized for Yosemite.

With non-Yosemite computers, it would be wise to downgrade to ARD 3.7.x clients until you make the jump to Yosemite or the bug is fixed in ARD 3.8 client.

I don't think they should have pushed out the ARD 3.8 (v1.1) client update to non-Yosemite computers.

Apr 23, 2015 7:37 AM in response to Lukcresdera

Hi PJ'sPal,

Thank you for your reply/comment.

I have downgraded the ARD agent on that iMac to ARD agent 3.7.

Unfortunately, it does not change a thing: that specific iMac is still showing ''Status: Available'' and, although I can ''Observe'', ''Control'' and ''Copy files'' from the ARD Station to that machine, I still cannot produce a ''Report'' on that animal.

Task result says:

System Overview Report: Failed on all

Task Status: Not Authorized

Current Status: Available

To recap, current installation is:

ARD Station: iMac 21" - Mac OS X 10.9.5 - ARD 3.8 (380A95)

Client with issues: iMac 21" - Mac OS X 10.9.5 - ARD 3.7 Client

Let me know if you have other suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Luis

Apr 23, 2015 1:18 PM in response to ENSR

In system preferences > sharing > "remote management" you can select "options" on the right side. In the options list there is a "Generate Reports" check box. I recommend that you uncheck that box, reboot the computer, and recheck the box. then try again. (also, make sure you have your admin user listed in the "Only these users:" box.)

Apr 24, 2015 12:57 AM in response to jaredfs

Hi Jaredfs,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, it does not solve the problem :-(

Have deselected the ''Generate Reports'' checkbox.

Have rebooted.

Have selected back the ''Generate Reports'' checkbox.

Have rebooted.

Have restarted the ARD application on the ARD Station as well, juste in case...

The error/status message is exactly the same: task result acknowledges iMac is ''Active'' but task status is still ''Not Authorized''.

As before this manipulation, I confirm being able to successfully perform on that iMac the following from the same ARD Station:

- Observe

- Control

- Install PKG files

- Copy files

- Log Out current user

- Restart

... only the ''Report'' function appears to be impacted.

Is the ARD application generating any king of log that can be consulted to help understanding what is going wrong and where?

Thnak you in advance.

Luis

Apr 28, 2015 2:04 AM in response to ENSR

Hi all - I'm suffering from similar ARD/VNC/ScreenSharing problems, too - in this case however Yosemite to Yosemite!

Client computer:

Laptop: MacBook Pro

Yosemite 10.10.2

ARD 3.8.3

Remote Computer:

Desktop: MacMini

Yosemite 10.10.3

ARD 3.8.3

• I cannot connect to my remote machine (to control or just view it), neither with ARD nor with VNC.
  • It does not work with Remote Management enabled nor Screen Sharing.
  • Attempting a connection reports - after a while - the error "Connection failed ... Please make sure that Screen Sharing ... is enabled" (but it is enabled!)

In the log on the client machine the following entry appears:

Screen Sharing: SSSessionView.m:1815:-[SSSessionView ssSession:connectDidFail:]: Communications error

In the log on the remote machine the following entry appears:

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.screensharing[692]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.screensharing.server

Note, however that other functions work:

- On my Laptop ARD reports that the remote computer is available and displays the user and the current application correctly

- A connection does seem to be established between the client and the remote machine, because I can send a "Message to the Administrator" from the remote machine back to the client machine, which is correctly displayed on the client machine.

Come on Apple - you seem to have forgotten your credo "It just works!"

I thought I would never say it, but thank god for TeamViewer!

ARD 3.8 - iMac is ''Available'' but report requests are not accepted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.