Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto app no longer exist

Hi

i've update my mac this morning and iphoto is no longer on my mac?

In application folder I can see iphoto logo but when i try to open it there is a alert :This version is no longer supported, please download last version for free.

I click on the button Search on app store but it's unable to find a new version of iphoto...

thanks for help

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 9:02 AM

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2015 9:02 AM in response to phaum1967

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 23, 2015 10:15 AM in response to phaum1967

I have a similar problem. I have iLife DVD - I updated my Mac Book Pro with new Yosemite software, and tried to reinstall Iphoto from the DVD. The computer wont run Iphoto, it says it needs to update Iphoto before it can run with the new operating software, i tried to update the Iphoto software, but (like everyone else) it says it longer exists - I certainly have not purchased this as an App in the past, as i have it on DVD. HELP ME please I need my Iphoto library.

Apr 23, 2015 12:17 PM in response to phaum1967

Apple doesn't want to support iPhoto anymore, that’s why it’s " greyed out".

You can still open up iPhoto - warning: any changes you make in iPhoto, will not transfer over to the new Photos app.

To open iPhoto:

Right click on the greyed out iPhoto icon - Show Package - Contents folder - Mac OS folder — click on black iPhoto Terminal icon.

Terminal opens up with multiple windows and then iPhoto will open up.

Apple wants you to use the new Photos app, that’s why it’s in your doc.

If you want to use iPhoto on a regular basis make an alias of iPhoto Terminal icon and drag it to the desktop.

Iphoto app no longer exist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.