Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

discoveryd ruins life, the universe, and everything

So, ever since upgrading to 10.10.3, accessing the internet has become something of a mystical shamanic ritual. DNS servers, of any kind, will fail to load with "no route to host" printed in terminal when I try to ping. Websites won't load. Oddly, this persists across reboots, hard and soft. If I continue to reboot (and wait until Jupiter is in the 5th house while sacrificing a goat), suddenly (and with no configuration changes) the internet will start working again.

Apple, why have you gotten rid of mDNSResponder?

No but seriously, discoveryd appears to just randomly shut off for 30-45 minutes at a time, persistent across reboots, and nothing I do will resurrect its capricious, hateful spirit until it has decided to self-reanimate for no apparent reason. Why? How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 10:25 AM

6 replies

Apr 22, 2015 10:55 AM in response to asklepian

asklepian wrote:

yeah, it's a brand new MBP so there is no recovery disk

All brand new Macs have a Recovery disk, it's a hidden partition on the hard drive, additionally they all (even yours) come with Internet Recovery, either method will be easily able to reinstall OS X

Before worrying about what is under the hood you should know the basics of your Mac

Apr 22, 2015 2:45 PM in response to asklepian

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

discoveryd ruins life, the universe, and everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.