Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G4 Right Speaker Not Working

Hello, i just recently purchased a very gently used Powerbook G4 15 inch, 1.67 Ghz, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, OS X 10.4.11. the computer performs phenomenally and overall feels like a brand new computer! 😍 however, the right speaker is not working. 😢 i understand this is the model with three speakers, left - middle (more proximal to the left speaker) - and right. when i try to slide the volume slider to the left the left most speaker makes sound, when i slide the volume slider to the right, the middle speaker only makes sound. im wondering if the powerbook is mistaking the middle speaker as the right speaker because it only shows two channels - 1 for left and 2 for right - but the "2" is only playing though the middle speaker. i hope theres an easy fix, something thats not hardware related. if it cant be easily fixed then it doesnt hurt me too much because the computer was only 50$ 😎

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 15 Inch, 1.67Ghz, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 9:27 AM

Attach headphones or exteranl speakers. Any sound probelms with those?

I'd start with resetting the NVRAM per this article:

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Be aware that the note at the bottom of the page referring to an SMC reset only applies to Intel Macs, not PowerBooks.

You should also try a PMU reset:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6787488_reset-pmu-g4-powerbook.html

I looked at some repair guides for 15-inch, 1.67 ghz powerbooks and don't see a reference to more than two speakers, even on the large 17-inch versions.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 9:27 AM in response to applecore power pc

Attach headphones or exteranl speakers. Any sound probelms with those?

I'd start with resetting the NVRAM per this article:

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Be aware that the note at the bottom of the page referring to an SMC reset only applies to Intel Macs, not PowerBooks.

You should also try a PMU reset:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6787488_reset-pmu-g4-powerbook.html

I looked at some repair guides for 15-inch, 1.67 ghz powerbooks and don't see a reference to more than two speakers, even on the large 17-inch versions.

Apr 23, 2015 8:54 PM in response to applecore power pc

they had a mid speaker before the final october revision, then short after were discontinued in favor of the macbook pro. the sound and the balance works with headphones and bluetooth speakers. its just the internal far right speaker. it seems the software doesn't acknowledge its there but it controls the mid speaker when slid all the way to the right. ill try these tips and post what happens.

Powerbook G4 Right Speaker Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.