Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get a devise that only works on 2.4 to access the airport?

I have a security camera that only works on the 2.4 wave and it has conflict with the 5 wave on the Airport dual band. I need to just have it isolate the wave to 2.4 in order to work. Any have any ideas?

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 11:51 AM

7 replies

Apr 22, 2015 12:05 PM in response to PhatPiggy

In the default setting for the AirPort, both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands use the same wireless network name. The theory here is that a wireless device will look at both bands and connect to the one with the best signal quality.

That might be confusing the camera.

Try using the option to assign a separate name to the 5 GHz band, so the 2.4 GHz band will have one name and the 5 GHz another. Then, you will have two separate networks, not two that both share the same name.

Open AirPort Utility, click on the AirPort icon, then click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Click the Wireless Options button near the bottom of the next window

Enter a check mark in the box next the 5 GHz name. That will automatically add "5 GHz" to the name of your network

User uploaded file

May 4, 2015 9:02 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

I do not see the edit screen you reference. I do not get the small "edit" screen you are referencing when I click on the airport icon. I was also told by the security support team to considering unchecking the "merge" button. Not sure what that is. Can you provide some insights why I may not get the "edit" screen. The top menu list:

File Base Station Setting Help

Any ideas?

May 4, 2015 9:42 PM in response to PhatPiggy

Here is what my AirPort Utility screen looks like. I blocked out my IP address and the serial number of the AirPort. The "Edit" button is at the lower right of the smaller window.

User uploaded file

When you click on the Edit button, the next window will look like this:

User uploaded file

Clicking on the Wireless Options button near the bottom of the screen will reveal the Wireless Options window that I posted in my original response above.

I was assuming that your Mac was using a recent operating system like Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion,or Lion......systems that have been in use for the last 3-4 years.......and systems that the vast majority of users are using.

If you are using a significantly older operating system, then that would explain why your AirPort Utility would look different....because it was different 4+ years ago.

What operating system is your Mac using? If you are not sure, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen and then click About This Mac. Post back with the OS X version number that you see there.

Or, perhaps you are using a PC?

I was also told by the security support team to considering unchecking the "merge" button

Sorry, I have no idea what they might have meant by that, since I cannot find any setting for "merge" on any window in AirPort Utility.

May 5, 2015 6:21 AM in response to PhatPiggy

Click on the Wireless Options button and that will bring up a window that looks like this:

User uploaded file

Enter a check mark int the box next to 5GHZ Name and that will add "5GHz" to the current name of your wireless network. Click Done, then click Update to save the settings.

Now, your 2.4 GHz network is named the same as your network was before......the same name that you have in the Wireless Network Name box on the main Wireless page......PhatPhiggy'sWiFi...... but you have a separate 5 GHz network with another name.....the one with "5GHz" added to the name.

So, you have two separate networks....one that is 2.4 GHz only and the other which is 5 GHz only.

You don't need to do anything about the speed. Look on the main Wireless page

User uploaded file

802.11a/n is the speed(s) of the 5 GHz network

802.11b/g/n is the speed(s) of the 2.4 GHz network. This setting means that any "b", "g" or "n" device will be able to connect to the 2.4 GHz network.

You might want to think about the current names of your wireless networks though......since you have a special character (an apostrophe) in the name.

There are a lot of devices that will only connect to a wireless network that uses normal alpha/numeric characters......regular letters and/or numbers.....and they will not be able to connect to a wireless network that uses special characters like an apostrophe, asterisk, exclamation mark, etc, because they do not recognize those characters.

This might be contributing to the problem with the camera not connecting.

It is also possible that the camera will not connect to the higher level of WPA2 Personal wireless security that you are using. You may need to drop the security level down to WPA/WPA2 Personal if the camera will not handle WPA2 Personal only. That would be something that you could confirm with the camera support folks.

I still cannot find anything about a "Merge" setting in AirPort Utility.

Good luck!

How can I get a devise that only works on 2.4 to access the airport?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.