Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac hanging on boot after 10.10.3

Greetings all,

After upgrading to 10.10.3, my iMac (12,1) started freezing regularly, necessitating a forced shutdown and restart. After two days of this, it failed to boot up at all, but would automatically power down about 1/3 of the way through the boot process.

I detached all devices except the keyboard and mouse and tried booting into Safe Mode with the same results (shut down). I then booted into Recovery Mode and ran Disk Repair. It found that there were errors with the disk (I did not make note of them at time), and that I should backup what I could (already done via Time Machine), reformat the HDD, and restore the backup.

I did this and everything seemed to work OK. However, upon returning home from work, I found that my iMac was frozen again (the mouse moved the cursor, but neither the Dock or any apps would respond). I tried rebooting again, only to find it hanging about halfway through the boot process.

I tried booting into Safe Mode again, but it would hang at the same point. I booted into Recovery Mode and ran checked the disk and everything is fine. So I then tried booting in Verbose mode, and got to this at the fsck_hfs point:

Executing fsck_hfs (version hfs-235)

Warning: couldn't block sleep during cache updae

Warning: proceeding w/o DiskArb

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager: :setPowerState(alpha-numerical series, 3 -> 2) timed outafter 101096 ms

And that is where we are stuck.

Of course, this thing is, like, ONE MONTH past the AppleCare warranty's expiration date.

Any advice would be appreciated, or even any input as to whether the problem is with the system, or with the HDD. This is the first iMac I've had in since 2001 that hasn't last me six years or more, so I am kind of bummed... =(

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 16GB RAM

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 12:58 PM

4 replies

May 4, 2015 11:17 PM in response to Jeff Sorley

Well, I was able to throw a new copy of Yosemite onto an externall HDD and booted from that just fine so, as rkaufmann87 surmised, it is likely an hdd failure. I'm just surprised that there is so little available documentation about this type of error message (as seen when fsck is run).

rkauffmann87 - Getting to an Apple store is not a viable option... =(

seräkare - I'm guessing that we are in the same boat. Are you able to, or even have access to the parts, to try doing what I did above?

Lucky for me, I got to perform HDD replacement surgery on the same model of iMac at my work and, except for the known fan issue (which is resolved by using third-party fan control managers), it is working just fine. I have yet to do the same for my iMac, but my boss was kind enough to let me install my backup on one of work's spare iMacs to use at home until I have the chance to do so (just weighing my options about what new HDD/SSD to install).

The steps are incredibly easy and can be found at iFixit.

iMac hanging on boot after 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.