Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOw can I add a SSD to my iMac 21.5 (Mid 2011) so I can move the opperating system to it?

I was interested in adding a fusion hard drive to my iMac 21.5 (Mid 2011). I am running Yosemite. In speaking to a tech at a local Apple Hardin in Arlington, TX) service center who are always super helpful, he said the best thing to do in my machine is to add SSD and move the operating system over to it. My question is, if anyone knows of software that will allow the Mac to use the SSD for system operations and the HD for the data? Has anyone tried it and is it any faster?

How do you hook up a SSD to the motherboard? (Sorry, lots of questions.)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 1:03 PM

12 replies

Apr 24, 2017 1:25 PM in response to LegalVision

Hi LegalVision,

Thanks for the good advice!

I am wondering if the Transcend StoreJet still works for you today in 2017? What versions of OSX does it support, do you know or have experience with that?

I also have a Mid 2011 iMac that could need an upgrade, but I don't like to open it up, if the external drive is a real option.

Thanks,

Thomas

Apr 22, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Revnron

Adding an SSD inside an iMac 2011 vintage, or anything other than changing ram modules, is not a user condoned task according to Apple. Yes, it can be done but we are not able to assist you in doing so on here, you might try www.iFixit.com for guidance. A way that Apple will support is if you have the work done by an Apple Authorized Service Provider, which it sounds like you are talking with. The AASP can setup the machine so the boot volume is the SSD and the Mac OS X can be setup to use the HD as the data source for the applications you use.

Apr 22, 2015 8:20 PM in response to Revnron

Thank you for your kind replies so promptly. I am pretty impressed as opposed to questions I have posted on various MS and PC sites before graduating to the iMac.

I've found a very good and reliable ASP near me who suggested this setup. I like to do as much of my own work as I can, but this may be out of my range. They did say there was room for a SSD under the DVD drive but would require special connectors to attach it. So, I'll get back with them to see what we are looking at.

Apr 22, 2015 11:38 PM in response to Revnron

No additional software is necessary. You're simply plugging in another storage drive (in this case, a 'laptop'-type 2.5" Solid State Drive to additional connectors that are already inside your mid-2011 21.5" iMac. Then you would load OS X onto the new drive, and select it as the Boot Drive in System Preferences

The installation procedure is not absolutely not for the faint of heart or the beginner, and it involves major disassembly and reassembly with many connectors on the component parts that have to be carefully removed and reinstalled properly. But by now, your iMac is probably well out of warranty and extended AppleCare coverage has ended, so...

To help you decide if you want to tackle it yourself, you can view step-by-step 'how-to' videos posted from OtherWorldComputing (Owc Macsales on Youtube) (www.macsales.com)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOf0svk5FdY&list=PLV6G5UHzWDx2ru-g_V9DCSmlGnr-O1 mmq&index=13

Ifixit.com also has a video and a very detailed printed guide https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2428+Dual+Hard+ Drive+Kit/6434

As you might expect, that is because both Ifixit and OWC also sell the parts and tools needed to do the job.

I recently purchased a hard drive replacement kit with temperature sensor for the new HD and an SSD kit and the tools from OWC, but have not yet installed them because I have some important deadlines coming up, and I can't afford to be without my primary system in case I damage something in the process.

I also have another computer I can use to watch the videos and view the step-by-step guides as I work on the iMac.

Apr 22, 2015 11:57 PM in response to Revnron

The most difficult part is physically installing the drive. As others have pointed out, it is probably best to have someone else who works on Mac do the install.

I have not seen anyone talk about the software side. That is easy for you to do. It is easiest if you replace the spinning drive with the new SSD. You can then put the old drive in a usb enclosure and hold down the option key to boot from it. You can also connect it using a thunderbolt adapter. You can even do the closing to the SSD by placing the SSD in a usb enclosure and imaging the current OS to the SSD.

Carbon Copy Cloner works great, and the trial version should be just what you need.

A fusion drive can be done using any SSD/ hard drive combo. there are terminal commands on Mackintosh forums covering the topic, it is not for people who are not comfortable with command line tools. If you do this, you should use a new mechanical drive as well. Imagine a 500GB SSD Fused to 6TB mechanical drive! I'd be inclined to setup the Fusion drive setup using an external enclosure first, then cloning the current drive to the logical drive, booting from it to make sure it works before physically installing. Once the Fusion drive is created, Carbon Cloner Copy will transfer your system drive.

SSDs are so inexpensive, and the cost of having someone install the drive is going to be so much, I would recommend simply replacing the stock drive rather than fusion because the stock drive has wear, a 1TB SSD are around 400, and the speed from a SSD versus the stock drive is nothing short of mind blowing! In fact I think Apple went to great lengths to use the slowest drives they could find.

Especially when it comes to anything that requires duplicating files on the same drive, like installing OS X updates.

Installing a SSD and keeping the optical drive and the stock drive will require a complete dismantling, might be a great time to upgrade the processor while you are at it. The new Apple AC networking cards are available too.

Apr 23, 2015 5:16 AM in response to Revnron

After years of being a fan of Carbon Copy Cloner, I don't bother with it anymore. Disk Utility that comes with Mac OS X does an outstanding job of copying software at the bit-level when you use the Restore function. Restore is more than just restoring a backup, it is also a means of copying material bit-by-bit from one drive to another.

You can also simply download another copy of the Yosemite installer (open the Mac App Store and go to Purchases to find that) and point the installer to the SSD if the AASP has not installed it for you.

To make the SSD the startup disk, open System Preferences > Startup Disk, unlock the lock lower left corner (may need to enter the admin ID and password), highlight the SSD, close the lock, which sometimes does not take effect until you restart. Click Restart and you will then be using the SSD as your startup disk rather than the Macintosh HD.

All very simple and does not require additional software to accomplish if the AASP has not set things up for you, but it sounds like you have a good one to deal with.

Apr 23, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Revnron

I would never recommend a fusion drive because of price and of the risk when one of the two breaks.

Upgrading your iMac with an ssd is just 1 part of the task. Before taking your iMac to the AASP or grab a screwdriver yourself you have to decide how you will use the ssd: as a bootdisk (so you keep the old hdd for your data) or as a replacement for the old drive. The first option is the cheapest because a disk of ca 256GB is sufficient for most of the programs and libraries together. The last option needs a ssd with at least the capacity you are using now, which is more expensive.

Having made up your mind, now make a FULL backup.

Download the Yosemite installer and make a bootable usb stick (you might need 16GB) to make a clean install. I’d prefer a clean install because you can get rid of all the junk en rubbish you surely acquired in your former digital life.

Get your Apple ID and password ready in case you might need it, then install Yosemite and answer all the questions Yosemite asks you. Be patient: this takes some time.

With Yosemite installed on the ssd Finder shows you the following folders/directories:

APPLICATIONS

LIBRARY

SYSTEM

USERS

If you upgraded to a bigger SSD as a replacement for the old one your work stops here: restore your data to the ssd and that’s just about it. You can leave it to Yosemite or Time Machine to take care of the rest. This will take some time as well.

Using the ssd as a system and Library “pool” you need to have a look at “Users” which contains now

your Homefolder (YOU) -the one with the house icon.

Shared

and we have to concentrate on your Homefolder which contains:

Applications

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Movies

Music

Pictures

Public

You will find the same mapping in your old (=hdd) drive.

Every time you or a program addresses to a file it needs you want it to look in your hdd. If Pages needs a document you made some time ago it must “know” where to find it. The mechanism OS X uses for this is called “symbolic link”, which is a “better” mechanism than using an alias. The procedure to make this work is as follows:

The only way I can explain you is via Terminal:

Delete the folder <name> on the Sid

Create the symbolic link with the same <name> pointing to the folder on the hdd

In this example my ssd is called SSD Boot; my hdd is called USERS1; my homefolder on USERS1 is called Hans and my goal is to set up a symbolic link to the folder Documents on my homefolder in USERS1.

Start Terminal and type:

sudo rm -rf /Users/Hans/Documents (this command deletes (removes) the folder Documents from the ssd.

sudo because you need administrator rights to do this. A password might be asked. I’m not sure if you get a confirmation that the folder has been removed. Then create the symbolic link pointing to the new destination with:

sudo ln -s /Volumes/USERS1/Hans/Documents Documents

Now that the symbolic link is created the original icon on the ssd is changed: a small arrow in the lower left corner shows that we are looking at a redirected folder.

Do this with every datafolder, so Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures. Some programs -like iTunes and iPhoto/Photo’s - need an different approach.

Now install the programs you need, one by one, the very moment you need them and not before hand. So you'll keep your ssd slim and tidy. Leave all the other programs where they are now: on your backup disk.

I did this about a month ago on my 27 inch iMac mid 2010 which had a boottime after typing the password of ca 90 - 120 seconds with 20 GB RAM. After upgrading boottime now is 9-10 seconds and Logic Pro X, Photoshop, iTunes, Thunderbird etc all running and ready without any jumping program in the Dock. As a matter of fact: I never see something jumping in the Dock anymore:)

Hans

Dec 16, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Revnron

I just used Carbon Copy to transfer my current system folder and applications folder to a new external SSD connected by Thunderbolt. Then, I made the SSD the startup drive. The increase in speed is astounding! Before I had to wait 30 minutes until everything restarted --- now 45 seconds and the applications work much faster, too. I should have done this years ago. This is what I bought: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NV9LSEE

Dec 16, 2015 3:13 PM in response to LegalVision

Is that serious: 30 minutes? How very patient you are and wealthy as well to buy such an expansive ssd:))

The increase in speed feels like having a new machine, and sitting next to my son with his hefty 64Gb MacPro (2015) makes me happy because my mid2010 iMac is only 2 seconds behind with booting up. Unfortunately you get used to this speed within a few weeks.

Hans

HOw can I add a SSD to my iMac 21.5 (Mid 2011) so I can move the opperating system to it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.