Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV First Gen not responding

Hi all,

After not using it for about a year, I fired up our First Gen Apple TV and after turning it on found I couldn't navigate through any of the menus. Also, in iTunes 12.1.2 (latest build), the pane that allowed me to sync my Apple TV is missing — and as far as I know, may have ben for some time.

A bit more detail:

After rebooting, the Apple TV starts normally, with the classic ATV animation.

The menu screen appears as it always did, but when I try to use the remote to move from one menu or sub-menu to another, it does nothing.

The remote works — sort of. After rebooting the ATV by holding down "menu" and "-", it goes into the Recovery Mode. I ran diagnostics, and it said everything was fine. The other choices are "restart" and "Factory restore" (I haven't tried the latter.) A restart (which I access by using the remote) takes me back to square one.

I tried to use the Apple Remote app to control the ATV, but the First Gen box isn;t showing up. And as I said, the "Apple TV" pane in iTunes preferences is gone.

Should I go the factory restore route? (I'm a bit hesitant after reading some of the comments.) Can we even sync music any longer with the Apple TV first gen? Or has it devolved to a streaming box without AirPlay capability?

All our other ATVs (2nd and 3rd gen) work flawlessly. I'd like to use the ATV 1 as a music server, or at least try it as such. Any chance I can get this working again?

Thanks very much for any and all advice!

Apple TV

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 1:21 PM

1 reply

Apr 25, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Maggot

Hello Maggot,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand that you're having difficulty with the responsiveness of your Apple TV with your remote. Since you haven't used it in about a year, have you changed the battery on the remote? By the way, the reason why it does not appear in the Remote app, is because the Apple TV 1st gen does not support the software required to interract with the Remote app.

How to replace the Apple Remote battery - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Apple TV First Gen not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.