Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing Slideshow on MacBook Pro

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and would like to know how I can view a slideshow of pictures.

I've copied some pictures from my external HDD to my Public folder, but can't find a way of viewing them in slideshow.

My MacBook is running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3 and has iPhoto installed. I thought this was maybe what I needed to use, but when I try to open it I'm told I need to upgrade via the App Store. When I access the App Store I'm told that this is not available in the UK store.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 5:23 AM

What version of iPhoto do you have? Have you found iPhoto's replacement, Photos on your hard drive? launch it and create a new library. Drag your photos or folder of photos onto the Photos icon in the dock to import them into the library. Now you can select them and create a sldeshow to play.

User uploaded file

4 replies

Apr 24, 2015 5:24 AM in response to TheAirGuitarist

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Alternatives to iPhoto's slideshow include:

iMovie is on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price:

PhotoToMovie $49.95

PulpMotion $129

FotoMagico $99

Final Cut Pro X $299

It's difficult to compare these apps. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

Apr 27, 2015 12:46 PM in response to Yer_Man

Apologies for not replying to your post sooner!

I've checked out my purchases in the App Store and can't see iPhoto. I then followed the steps to unhide purchases, but when I accessed my Account Information page there was no option to view hidden purchases. I'm guessing this is because there are no hidden purchases to unhide?!

Thanks for your list of alternatives. I'm happy to mess around with the Photos app initially, but I'll bear these in mind for the future.

Thanks again for you help.

Viewing Slideshow on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.