Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Library.aplibrary greyed out (relocating library)?

i am setting up a new mac pro and had previously located my aperture library on a disk that was storing databases (as opposed to the disk with the OS on it).

i have decided instead to use a larger HD for the OS drive and to keep all my databases on it. however i am running into a problem i don't understand.

right now in the PICTURES folder on my OS drive i am showing a "Aperture Library.aplibrary" which is GREYED OUT and when i try to overwrite it with the NEW library (370 GB) that is coming from the other "database disk" i am getting some error that says i can't do anything with it because it is in use - even though i have quit out of Aperture. so i went hunting for the offending software, closed Photos App and some other miscellaneous apps and did a restart and go the same thing.

so i decided to just go ahead and copy the NEW library to the OS drive and put it in the Pictures folder names as Aperture Library 2.aplibrary so now this is in the folder along with the /still/ greyed out aplibrary.

any ideas on what i should do here?

presumably i could open Aperture and tell it to use the "2" aplibrary? or is there something mission critical i am missing here that i don't want to mess up? ALSO, is there a correct procedure for relocating an aplibrary? i mean i got confused but i guess normally i should be able to write over an aplibrary and then TELL APERTURE to open the aplibrary of the new location on the OS drive, right (instead of finding it on the other "database" drive)?

THANKS

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 4:34 PM

1 reply

Aperture Library.aplibrary greyed out (relocating library)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.