Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchase Apple Technician Training -- thoughts?

I have been wondering about the Technician Training that's available in the store and so I'm looking for opinions from other users.

I"m not in the computer/tech field but enjoy working on computers. "Working" on my Mac has been pretty minimal; other than reloading my OS X (which has been a real time-save since making the switch to Apple) it's been pretty care-free 🙂 .

My initial thought re the training is the aspect of saving money and time (I live out of town and no apple people within a day trip for me. A few times I've had to go to the Genius Bar for help, and now my personal computer is just getting to that state where I will need to look at adding/replacing a few things in order for it to continue running smoothly.

Anyway, I'm just curious about the training. Have you taken it and what are your thoughts on it? Does one need more than an amateurs working knowledge of computers?

Thanks for any advice/opinions you have to offer!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 6:28 PM

Some thoughts, since you asked 🙂 : Apple is really, really touchy about users working on their computers. Note that the current generation, other than the Mac Pro, have virtually NO user upgradable parts. And Apple will not sell the user any parts for the machines.

If you take the training courses and become an Apple certified technician, you are they authorized to work on yours, and others, equipment and can purchase parts. Is it worth the time and expense to you to pursue that level of certification? Only you can answer that question.

Also consider, there are very, very few things that can be done in the current generation of hardware, other than wholesale replacement of the unit...memory is now soldered to the logic board, batteries are glued in place, storage, formerly hard drive, is now soldered to the logic board. So, just how much repair could you actually do if that is the purpose of the training?

Just some random thoughts 🙂

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2015 6:28 PM in response to OhThatGirl

Some thoughts, since you asked 🙂 : Apple is really, really touchy about users working on their computers. Note that the current generation, other than the Mac Pro, have virtually NO user upgradable parts. And Apple will not sell the user any parts for the machines.

If you take the training courses and become an Apple certified technician, you are they authorized to work on yours, and others, equipment and can purchase parts. Is it worth the time and expense to you to pursue that level of certification? Only you can answer that question.

Also consider, there are very, very few things that can be done in the current generation of hardware, other than wholesale replacement of the unit...memory is now soldered to the logic board, batteries are glued in place, storage, formerly hard drive, is now soldered to the logic board. So, just how much repair could you actually do if that is the purpose of the training?

Just some random thoughts 🙂

Apr 22, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Yes, I totally hear you. I used to work for a tech but his shop was strictly non-mac and this is now just a distant memory for me. However, it was how I made some of my income and it certainly has always helped at all office jobs I've had.

What I don't get is that Apple sells their training online but discourage people from working on their own machines.

Is it the same training that the Geniuses go through in order to have jobs at "the bar"?

Apr 22, 2015 7:08 PM in response to OhThatGirl

OhThatGirl wrote:

Yes, I totally hear you. I used to work for a tech but his shop was strictly non-mac and this is now just a distant memory for me. However, it was how I made some of my income and it certainly has always helped at all office jobs I've had.

What I don't get is that Apple sells their training online but discourage people from working on their own machines.

Is it the same training that the Geniuses go through in order to have jobs at "the bar"?

As with cars, the days of shade-tree mechanics is long gone, I fear. certification is for folks who will do the parts swapping with a diploma on the wall for $ - therefore the cost.

Geniuses are apparently just very enthusiastic and Apple Trained for that job after getting hired >

How to get a job working as an Apple Store Genius <http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/how-get-job-as-apple-store-genius-350018 3/>

O! for days gone by...

ÇÇÇ

Apr 26, 2015 9:11 PM in response to OhThatGirl

They don't really discourage you from doing so, they just void your warranty if you do so and they don't provide certain parts directly to the the customer. It isn't that hard to find other parts on the open market and one of the problems with computer parts is they become unavailable from manufacturers so quickly.

The older MacPros were about the only model that afforded customization and workability, hence it received a high rating from iFixit. Newer models, such as the MacBook, are much more difficult to fix. Check out the teardown of the Apple Watch on their site, it got a score of 5 out of 10.

The problem is there is nothing really left to work on in newer devices.

Apr 29, 2015 10:50 AM in response to OhThatGirl

The tear down I posted was just to show an example of how little there is inside the current generation of Mac laptops that can be repaired...unless you are particularly skilled with a soldering iron 😉

These things today are just not much fun for someone who likes to tinker around inside the case. The Apple tech training is a means to the end of at least have a comfort level when opening the case, without voiding the warranty for doing so, when an Apple tech is not readily accessible. And if you like doing that kind of work, the training can be personally fun for you.

Apr 29, 2015 11:55 AM in response to OhThatGirl

Many of the Forum regulars also miss the days when when you could repair your own computer. A number of them built their first computer from a kit. Some like me) remember taking the tubes out of the old AM radio and bringing them to the drug store for testing. How I miss the days when you could tune up your car for about 20 dollars. Time and progress march on, They didn't have iPads back then so I'm in no hurry to go back. 🙂

Purchase Apple Technician Training -- thoughts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.