Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download I tunes to windows 7 PC. Please help.

Following advice given in a forum, I uninstalled all apple software from my Win7 PC in preparation for reinstalling I tunes. When I navigate to the I tunes download site and click Download, nothing happens but I get the thank you for downloading message.

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 8:26 AM

It seems that in some cases the scripts on Apple's site that are intended to query your system to offer the appropriate installer don't work as intended, taking you straight to the "Thank you for downloading" page. Depending on the edition of Windows you are running, there are three variants of the most recent version of iTunes, with direct links to the installers as follows:

The third of these - which is actually the 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer - should be used if you get a warning about video card incompatibility when you install the standard 64-bit version, but also may resolve issues with playback, QuickTime compatibility, and problems with some third-party applications (including Outlook).

See turingtest2's notes onTroubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updatesfor more details if you're still having problems with installation.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Aprilm50

It seems that in some cases the scripts on Apple's site that are intended to query your system to offer the appropriate installer don't work as intended, taking you straight to the "Thank you for downloading" page. Depending on the edition of Windows you are running, there are three variants of the most recent version of iTunes, with direct links to the installers as follows:

The third of these - which is actually the 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer - should be used if you get a warning about video card incompatibility when you install the standard 64-bit version, but also may resolve issues with playback, QuickTime compatibility, and problems with some third-party applications (including Outlook).

See turingtest2's notes onTroubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updatesfor more details if you're still having problems with installation.

Apr 23, 2015 3:28 PM in response to Arwynm

You misunderstand the issue ... normally you go through three pages when downloading iTunes:

The iTunes home page (http://www.apple.com/itunes/) shows the initial Download iTunes button:

User uploaded file

This should then take you to a second page that:

1. shows the results of querying your system to determine the appropriate installer, and
  2. shows the Download Now button:

User uploaded file

The behavior when you click Download Now varies by browser, for example:

• Internet Explorer gives an immediate choice to download and run or just to download:
    User uploaded file
  • Chrome doesn't have the "run" option, just Keep (Save) or Discard (Cancel):
    User uploaded file

As you're making that choice (actually a few seconds after clicking Download Now) the page changes to the "Thank you ..." screen:

User uploaded file

The issue that Aprilm50 reports relates to a situation where the second page - with the Download Now button on it - is skipped completely, i.e., as soon as you click on Download iTunes on the home page you go straight to "Thank you for downloading ...". This seems to be a relatively common problem for Windows users (it has probably come up at least once a week on the ifW forum over the last year), and appears to be a failure/incompatibility of the scripts that are intended to detect your edition of Windows and offer the appropriate installer. Hence the solution - direct links to the installers themselves - in my original response.

Can't download I tunes to windows 7 PC. Please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.