Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does OS X Internet Recovery wipe off my datas

trying to reboot my imac with OS X Internet Recovery, does OS X Internet Recovery wipe off my datas afterwards

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 7:36 PM

15 replies

Apr 22, 2015 7:54 PM in response to Ade Bell

Clone Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue

button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it

to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

May 4, 2015 11:24 PM in response to Kappy

So this method (Explained by Kappy), if I'm understanding this correctly, will clone the MacBook's hard drive onto an external hard drive? Will anything be erased on the MacBook?

And can you use a drive that is not FireWire? I have a Seagate Drive (which is USB) that I use with my Mac already for small files. The External Drive is 2TB and my MacBook is 500GB. Will the Seagate Drive work with this method?

The more info on this method the better.

I'm just REALLY worried about losing my data on my MacBook. I'm in the same situation where my mac will not boot past the grey screen with the apple logo. And want to try the reinstall OSX using the Utility.

Thanks so much,

does OS X Internet Recovery wipe off my datas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.