Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Web Content Not Responding

I now leave my "Force Quit Applications" window open constantly, because dozens of times a day I'm getting messages that say "Safari Web Content (not responding)" and "Adobe Flash Player (not responding)", and I have to force-quit them to get Safari functioning again. Sometimes even force-quitting them won't get them to quit, and I have to quit Safari altogether. This is driving me nuts. It started happening last week, shortly after I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.10.3 (+ supplement) and Safari 8.0.5, plus twice downloading the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.

Help!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 3:01 PM

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

Try un-installing and then re-installing.

Adobe Flash Uninstaller

Adobe Flash Player

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2015 3:01 PM in response to RichardSRussell

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

Try un-installing and then re-installing.

Adobe Flash Uninstaller

Adobe Flash Player

Apr 23, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Eric Root

[A] Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test.

[B] Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test.

[C] You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

[D] Try un-installing and then re-installing Adobe Flash Player [links provided].

Tried A. Didn't fix the problem but did give me access to the "Develop" menu, which I hadn't previously known even existed.

Tried B. Didn't fix the problem but did succeed in wiping out a lot of my cookies, so I've had to re-sign-in to lots of sites (which fortunately I kept the log-in information for in a separate text file).

Decided to put off trying C and D until I went hunting for the application that kept hanging up on me, namely Safari Flash Player Plugin. Using -space to activate Spotlight, I tracked the fugitive down to MacHD > Library > Internet Plugins, where I trashed everything that bore the names "Flash" or "Adobe", then emptied the trash for good measure.

Relaunched Safari (for about the 30th time in the last couple of days), and now everything seems to be working fine. I wish I'd tried assassinating the plugin right off the bat.

Apr 23, 2015 4:14 PM in response to RichardSRussell

Woops, spoke too soon.

More followup, later that same day: All was going well until I hit a website that required Adobe Flash Player and offered me a chance to download it. I did so and followed the installation instructions (Version 17.0.0.169 for those keeping score at home). In less than 10 minutes the "Flash Player Not Responding" hangup was back.

Well, at least now I know whom to blame.

Still looking for a fix, tho, since I want to be able to keep using Flash Player without having it blow my connection every 10 minutes.

Aug 8, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Eric Root

I've been having the same problem, too . . . (for several weeks or maybe even months). Was involved with other projects, so usually just restart and continued what I was doing — so didn't realize how often it was happening or that it might be related to all the Safari freezes I also was experiencing.

As others have reported, I think it started around the time I updated to Yosemite and the newest version of Flash Player (out of necessity, because I was unable to access other sites).

I'm sure my cash is overloaded, and will empty it if necessary and maybe even Safari history, as well, but would feel more comfortable doing it if there was some way to see what I will lose as a result beside faster access to some websites.

cs

Oct 9, 2015 11:54 AM in response to RichardSRussell

I had the same issues for months now - even with two different machines (i got a replacement macbook pro shortly after i got it - the issue was on both machines). I called the apple care yesterday and got the answer that i should visit an apple store - it may be a broken graphics card. I really thought the apple care service was capable until now...

Nov 3, 2015 11:49 AM in response to yoselm

...broken graphic card? That doesn't sound too good. I'm new to Mac and my first Apple's laptop is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013). It's 1 year and 10 months old as of this writing. I found out about this "Safari Web Content" problem shortly after because I noticed that my macbook was getting really hot. Being new to Apple's products at the time, I thought it might be a software issue. I still don't know how to resolve this problem yet.

Nov 3, 2015 11:57 AM in response to d186

Well good news: I solved the problem myself. It seems like the people at Apple Care just don't know anything about the machines they're selling. They just follow simple instructions that anyone can google themselves. But this issue has apparently never been solved before. So here it goes:

It's so simple: just look at the activity manager and hover above the task "Safari Web Content". You will see the URL of the website causing the problem. Then just search through your safari bookmarks and delete everything connected to that address (then delete cache and other temporary data). Never had a problem since. Hope this solution will help you, too.

Regards

Safari Web Content Not Responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.