Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RFID, Find iPhone, & Theft

I am recovering with an iPhone 4 ( shudder ) for the next 6 months after my phone was nabbed, driven 25 minutes away. I just set it down... but after talking with the police, and a few tech savvy friends have found the "Find iPhone" does not really help STOP theft. I am surprised of two things... one: an RFID could be embedded into components to allow for a police scanner to be built and distributed to police to allow for effective search... AND using bi-modal encryption keys that are depended on phone, and without, leaving further activations impossible without AT&T involvement. At this point, the feature DOES NOT stop theft, which I would LOVE to actually see. A device that makes the theft of it a one-way ticket to jail. Honestly I keep hearing how AT&T are doing NOTHING to thwart the re-activation of stolen phones and/or confiscating them and returning them to rightful owners. It's kinda uncool. on a lot of levels, or am I alone in feeling this? Anyway... just a thought.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.3, STOLEN

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 7:31 PM

13 replies

Apr 22, 2015 7:58 PM in response to dsgncr8or

AND using bi-modal encryption keys that are depended on phone, and without, leaving further activations impossible without AT&T involvement.

If you had Find My iPhone enabled, no one will be able to activate the phone again without your Apple ID.

Find My iPhone is not advertised as a way to prevent theft other than in that it makes iPhones a less attractive target as they can't be reactivated. Some cities are reporting iOS device thefts are down by 30%.

AT&T is not going to risk endangering its employees physical safety by requiring them to confiscate devices. They are not law enforcement officers.

And I, for one, don't want to give the government (or hackers) any more ways to track me.

However, you can submit your feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Apr 23, 2015 4:49 AM in response to dsgncr8or

The only phones being activated are those that did not have Find my iPhone enabled. There is a steady stream of Help requests here from people who bought stolen phones and find they cannot activate them. Thieves still steal iPhones and resell them to unsuspecting buyers, who thus are cheated. There are still buyers who get scammed, but there are far fewer of them. According to law enforcement sources iPhone thefts are down over 30%, and Android phone thefts and black market prices are way up. With similar activation lock type services becoming available for Android that is likely to change also.

IMEI blacklists are not as effective, because they are not honored worldwide, only by selected carriers.

Apr 23, 2015 4:48 AM in response to dsgncr8or

Find my iPhone was never intended as an anti-theft feature. It is purely a convenience feature to help people find lost devices. Activation lock IS an anti-theft feature and a very good one, as it stops people from actually being able to use a stolen device.

In the USA, AT&T and all carriers now participate in a USA universal blacklisting database service as well, as do most (or by now, maybe all ?) Canadian carriers and most Mexican carriers. So the carriers have finally put in place a nearly NA-wide universal blacklist. IF you report your phone stolen to AT&T, they will blacklist it, preventing it from being used on any NA carrier's network (this applies regardless of make or model of device).

News reports in several cities notorious for iPhone theft (NYC, LA) have reported large drops in reported thefts of iPhones and iPad since the introduction of Activation Lock. Many other smart phone manufacturers are also looking into various similar "kill" switches. As far as I know, nobody is looking into an active tracking system to find lost smart phones - the police, I'm sure, are really not interested in such a thing as they don't have time to "war-drive" around scanning for every lost or stolen smart phone. Systems that render ALL devices useless to thieves will ultimately do far more to end theft than chasing individual lost devices ever will.

Apr 23, 2015 4:53 AM in response to Michael Black

This is a fascinating discussion... at the end of the day... I wish I could get my stolen one back... had the Find iPhone enabled and jumped to the wipe as I had sensitive information instead of texting to the device to return it... I know I over-reacted, but at the end of the day, I am out of an iPhone 5c and facing a $600 replacement cost because of an insurance oversight, on my part... so I am back to an old iPhone 4 with a broken ringer... so, kind of salty over the lack of the ability to retrieve it... in any case... thanks for the info... wish it could change my sitch... but is what it is.

Thanks, DRU.

May 18, 2016 5:32 AM in response to dsgncr8or

When finally getting to cleaning up discussions... i came across this one and thought: I actually got my phone BACK, after the individual realzied I would not release the lock and they were in posesion of a "hot" phone. So... actually returned the device. Such efficient risk reducing criminals! ( LOLz ) So, Thanks. Just thought I would share the update.

RFID, Find iPhone, & Theft

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.