Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I take a single shot of a video clip now or can I

Just trying to get some images off my video clips, I know you used to be able to but have lost it or is it another thing that has been cut?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 12:15 AM

or is it another thing that has been cut?

Yes.

I normally use iMovie HD 06. File > Save Frame. Done

With the latest iMovie your best bet is simply to take a "screen grab". Command key + shift +4 and select the area of the screen you want it will be copied to the desktop

9 replies

Apr 24, 2015 10:18 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

You must admit that the old way of File > Save Frame, is easier.

ehm ...…

File >> Save frame

File >> Share >> Frame

<cough> well ... imho, ... 'easier' … big word for one sub-menu less ...

I know, Zi, you're … what nice word did I learn lately? … biased when it comes to iMovie-a vs. iMovie-b 😉

And I'm not using it any more, productively, as I switched to FCPX for a while now ..... I have no reason to defend it.

It's fast 'n easy to use, offers all the stuff Ma&Dad need to staple last weekends recordings together, optimized for the wireless, instantly and hand-held present , for my taste a lil' too much 'eye candy' with those canned effects, trailer- /map-templates. But fast and easy.

And I don't get it why Apple misses the commercial opportunity by allowing add-ons/themes/plug-ins/3rd party ideas ... as it does with the FCPX-ecosphere. And as iMovie-b already supports, with an undocumented API. And as iMovie-a did … anybody remembering geethree.com, for example ? ....

For tape, undisputed & undoubtedly, iM-a is best.

For the 'iPhone generation' iM-b is better. My verdict.

Have you, Ziatron, seen/used iMovie-c, aka iMovie-iOS ... ? 👿

No disks either ... 😝 SCNR .....

Apr 25, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I also have Final Cut Pro X. Honestly, I haven't used it too much.

My movie editing requirements are normally simple. Just removing parts of the video I don't want, and I much prefer destructive editing.

Recently, I have been doing my editing with QuickTime 7 Pro and then burning Blu-ray discs using Toast 12. (Toast 12 is far less capable than my 6 year old iDVD.)

People sometimes accuse me of being a "dinosaur" because of my preference for optical media. I sometimes buy TV shows with iTunes and watch things on Netflix.

I have a media storage closet as part of my home theater. There, I have about 1700 DVDs and Blu-ray discs. In less than 30 seconds I can find the movie I want and play it anywhere in my house. I can lend it to friends, watch it on a plane using my MacBook Pro (with built-in optical drive), and if I don't like the movie I can legally sell it on eBay for close to my original purchase price.

I have absolutely nothing against watching movies online or streaming. However, I maintain that optical media has certain advantages over the cloud. I am what you would call a movie "buff" (collector). I have a lot of old, hard-to-find films. I have everything from Casablanca, to Plan 9 from Outer Space. As a collector, I must have a collection !

What is disheartening about the current situation is that it is starting to appear that Windows may be a better platform for movie editing than Macintosh. As Apple customer since 1979 (got technical support from Steve Wozniak once), and a Mac user going back to 1984, even the thought of switching to Windows saddens me. 😢

how do I take a single shot of a video clip now or can I

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.