Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Increase NOT possible on late Mini - TERRIBLE!

On Apple website, it says this, re: late 2014 MacMini's:

2.6GHz
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
Configurable to 16GB.

and this … "Configure your Mac mini with these options, only at the Apple Online Store", at the web page place where they give some different options for each model.

I have been on Macs since 1985! and this is the first time I have seen such as this. ALWAYS, to my knowledge, we have been able to upgrade Memory as needed, desired, etc.; and I have done so, even on my late 2009 MacMini!

and this … "only at the Apple Online Store" … is typical "business" talk .. "Only"!

With 30 yrs on Macs, who can believe this statement is restrictive, rather than just old time "business talk" .. "only here, can you get da da da!"

So, now I am stuck with this fantastic cptr, but cannot increase memory! I think this to be very disrespectful of Apple. First, the design (that we can't upgrade when we need or can afford to); AND WORSE .. the lack of a PROPER warning about this memory issue, such as "WARNING: The memory is part of the Logic board and can only be changed at time of order!" There is a statement someplace on Apple site, about it being part of the Logic board. I found it 20 minutes ago, but can't now … so OBVIOUSLY such a warning is Necessary, and NOT visible. Shame on Apple ... such a great product, but poor communications; and loss of being "user-friendly". What to do?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 1:23 AM

What to do?

Purchase the 2012 Mini and upgrade the memory

Puchase the 2014 Mini with the memory you want for life

12 replies

Apr 23, 2015 1:27 AM in response to lllaass

thanks! I was hoping for a less devastating reply.

With all your points/connections, I hope you can get the message to the correct Apple people, about the VERY POOR PRESENTATION on the website, when announcing the new Minis! If that is some great new advancement, as well as what it means to us (can't upgrade) one would think they would have a very visible and proper note, in box perhaps, to be sure the customer sees it. I feel I got gyped .. have trusted and loved Mac/Apple for so long, and now this!

Apr 23, 2015 3:22 AM in response to anandababa

If you bought the computer direct from official Apple Store or from Apple Store online and

less than 14 days has passed, you can contact Apple directly to arrange a return to get

your money back. But, not if bought through an independent reseller who has their own

sales policies.

You may be able to buy a Late 2012 Mini, new through online resellers, such as B&HPhoto.

Of course, they too won't be obligated to the 14-day Apple return policy, as an independent.

The server quad-core i7 2.3GHz has two 1-TB 5400-RPM HDDs, so that may be too slow

without an 7200-RPM HDD or a combination SSD, Fusion, or other. An official Apple upgrade

to these will help retain the warranty, so consider that should you so choose to go there.

Other resellers have been asking considerably more for used product, some upgraded by

who knows, but may sport 16GB RAM and one or more SSDs. A few could have been of

the original CTO or built-to-order direct from Apple, prior to October 2014 when they were

available. After about mid-Oct 2014, the new ones were available with fixed RAM, etc.

And most Apple centric online information sources compared their hardware specs, then.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 23, 2015 3:32 AM in response to anandababa

I have been on Macs since 1985! and this is the first time I have seen such as this. ALWAYS, to my knowledge, we have been able to upgrade Memory as needed, desired, etc.; and I have done so, even on my late 2009 MacMini!

This is not the first "fixed memory" Mac. The Macbook Pros with Retina

displays have had fixed memory as well as Macbook Airs. The recent 21.5"

iMacs have also been sort of fixed memory since there is no easy access

without tearing down the entire computer.

I am also not a big fan of fixed memory computers.

Apr 23, 2015 3:49 AM in response to K Shaffer

WOW! what an idea, THANKS! I googled searched, and found this:

Choosing High Performance Storage is not about RPM any ...

www.seagate.com/.../choosing-high-performance-storage-is-not-about-rp... Given two identically designed hard drives with the same areal densities, a 7,200 RPM drive will deliver data about 33% faster than the 5,400 RPM drive.

Am I understanding correctly, that you are suggesting this "7200-RPM HDD or a combination SSD" is something I should do NOT on this Mini, but to purchase the late 2012 model, and then get the 7200 rpm HDD? At first reading, I thought this was something I could do with this 2014 Mini, but now I think you are suggesting otherwise.

Presently I am living in India, with no plans to return to USA until next year sometime.

This is what's in my Mini .. Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662: Capacity:1 TB (10,00,20,48,86,016 bytes) Model: APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662 Revision: JA0AB5D0 Rotational Rate: 5400

thanks so much for your help. This truly could have been avoided if Apple had made this change more visible, clear, etc.

Revision: JA0AB5D0

Apr 23, 2015 3:54 AM in response to woodmeister50

thanks. I've never liked laptops, tablets, etc. My fingers are too big for the keys, that little mouse pad is also a challenge; and screen too small.

Have been on the cube and 2 mini's for perhaps 10 yrs now. I suppose if I were in USA (now India) I would consider selling this one, and buying another with the correct memory; 16GB Ram. Most likely I will do that when I return. thanks.

Apr 23, 2015 12:42 PM in response to anandababa

If you could have an Apple authorized certified trained service provider replace the

original 5400-RPM HDD with a faster spin-rate 7200-RPM (which also should have

a larger buffer or cache) so there still would be a guarantee or if you have it, coverage

under the optional AppleCare plan. For a bit more cost than rotational HDD upgrade

the Apple Fusion 1-TB HDD (probably like some portable Apple MB/Air) would be like

having a small SSD and a 700GB HDD together in one unit.

Though some of these new Mac Mini computers may have a space for a second HDD

they seldom include one. The Late 2012 Mac Mini i5 and i7 models had space for two.

So with that configuration, one space could hold an SSD and the other a storage HDD

of fast spin-rate. Also, with two internal hard drives, it may be easier to have two different

bootable systems in one computer. An external backup drive for Time Machine would be

a recommendation... and yet another for backup clones or bootable copies of OS X.

There have been some issues with unofficial upgrades, to an Apple certified authorized

upgrade with correct parts and training is recommended with the newer hardware. Esp.

if yours is otherwise not user-upgradable. See the iFixit.com repair guides for an idea of

what could be in store or the perils of messing around. It also can void warranties...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 24, 2015 2:18 AM in response to K Shaffer

I am still under the one year warranty; but I forgot to the the Apple extended care, before leaving usa. I usually also get that when I buy new macs. I bought from MacMall, and they say we can still enroll; within first year of cptr purchase.

But, I don't know if that will be any help.

I've sent your note to the Authorized folks in Pune, to see his answer, what he can do, etc.

thanks

Apr 24, 2015 2:33 AM in response to anandababa

The AppleCare extended plan should be OK to get as authorized service repairs would be

covered in most any location where available. The auto-enroll can be bought at time of

purchase, then it is applied immediately to your order and the product. If the original

reseller you bought the computer from can auto-enroll it for you after the fact, that may be

a good way to go. I see that I can order a lower cost version (after original Mini purchase)

for as little as $69. plus shipping, then I'd have to go online once it arrives in the post, to

register AppleCare online or by phone. For you, if MacMall can auto-enroll the Mini that

you bought from them so you don't have to mess with it, that would be good.

Oh, if you have someone upgrade the internal hard drive, it may be good to check to see

if the computer may support two hard disk drives. Or a Fusion if not too costly, and one

hard disk drive (7200-RPM) and you could probably use up to 2-TB in replacement HDD.

The options also may depend on the ability of the service center to perform the work and

also have it covered under AppleCare should there be resulting issues. This may require

some research to be sure. Since the parts and labor may be limited in coverage when the

unit was not CTO or built to order custom upgrade by Apple originally. But there should

not be an issue, so long as an AASP authorized Apple service provider with experience

in upgrade & repair of newer model Mini Mac. And they have & use good quality parts.

Hopefully that works out OK and good luck with your India experience...! 🙂

Apr 24, 2015 2:49 AM in response to anandababa

You will have to contact an Apple Authorised Service Provider in India to see if you can either:

- Purchase Apple Care in India. If that is true then India will provide service if necessary

- Purchase it in USA and have India provide service if necessary

The AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac, for iPod, for Apple TV, and for Apple Display provide global repair coverage. Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability, and response time vary by country.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Apr 24, 2015 2:57 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks. I just checked, it's $99 with MacMall.

I forwarded your early message to the folks in Pune. Yes, they are Apple authorized; and they replaced the CD drive on my 2009 mini a few years ago, when still under extended care plan

I am forwarding your notes to them, as well as my Mac tech support friend in usa … he will help me understand, and make suggestions. Thanks SOOO much to everyone here for such help. I will keep you posted on results.

Memory Increase NOT possible on late Mini - TERRIBLE!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.