Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I make titles with a black background over another video clip? Any tips for doing that?

Hello! I'm coming from Final Cut Pro, and I'm looking to do some titling over video clips in iMovie and finding it difficult. I basically want to have text on a black background over the video as in the image below.

User uploaded file

I'm not seeing any way to get a custom black box under the text, or to put paragraphs in the text. Most of the title options just want to keep it on one line.

Any tips?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 8:28 PM

cosmoscorbin wrote:

Any tips?

yep, an older User Tipp I wrote a while ago, but still relevant

How to create a pointer or a custom title

iMovie offers no tracks nor compounds, and still isn't open for 3rd party add-ons, so you have to go the 'paint your title' route ....

2 replies

Can I make titles with a black background over another video clip? Any tips for doing that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.