Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Legalities of Copying Purchased iTunes Songs to Non-Apple Devices

Hi there.

I was wondering whether I can copy my iTunes purchases onto, let's say, an Android phone. I'm talking about music. Any idea? 😕

Logic Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 12:31 AM

4 replies

Apr 23, 2015 12:57 AM in response to woofmatix

The legal (as opposed to the technical) issue is a bit murky. Strictly speaking it's illegal to make any copies whatever of copyright recordings, though in some jurisdictions the right to copy to your iPod/iPhone is recognized. Some record companies are trying to claim that even this is illegal.

In practice, nobody is likely to take any notice of your making copies entirely for your own use on an iPod, Android device, or even a car CD player; as long as you don't make copies for other people.

You can simply drag the songs out of iTunes to a folder on your Desktop and then from there transfer them to your Android device. Purchases over the last few years are not copy-protected; if you have any purchases made some years back (listed as 'Protected AAC audio file' as opposed to 'Purchased AAC audio file') these cannot be played in anything other than iTunes on an authorised computer or an iPod/iPhone synced with it.

Legalities of Copying Purchased iTunes Songs to Non-Apple Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.