Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reconnect a complete library stored on a remote drive (NAS) after NAS power off / power on?

Hello community,

My library is (mainly) stored on a NAS on my LAN. I use a MacBookPro and Itunes to play my music. As soon as I power the NAS off, an icon appears in front of each item stored on it, looking like this: ⚠ (in grey). When I power the NAS on again, the icon remains and I have to manually double click on EACH track to make it readable again. I have several thousand tracks, this is painful...

Is it possible to force iTunes to recognise the remote library as available again?

I wonder the command 'cmd + k' works to reconnect remote drive(s), but not in this case...

Thanks for your help.

Best

m

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iTunes 12.1.0.50

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 6:42 AM

We need to make distinction. A library is everything in the iTunes folder but from your description of the issue it sounds like you keep your library files on your internal drive and media on the external.

I am surprised the icon appears immediately if the drive is being turned off while iTunes is running . Usually it won't do it until you try to actually play an item stored on an unavailable drive. Typically iTunes does not check for the actual presence of a file until it needs to use the file.

You have to double click? I can just press the down arrow to scroll through a list and iTunes (my older version I admit) has a quick glance.

So the NAS is being powered off while iTunes is running? I don't see the point in keeping iTunes running if you are powering off the NAS. Stop iTunes, stop the NAS, start the NAS, start iTunes. You can find Applescripts on the Internet which will check if a drive is available before starting iTunes, so you start iTunes using the Applescript.

There's an Apple script I can dig up which will re-check link validity but if you have thousands of files it will take a long time to run.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2015 6:42 AM in response to mathieufromnowhere

We need to make distinction. A library is everything in the iTunes folder but from your description of the issue it sounds like you keep your library files on your internal drive and media on the external.

I am surprised the icon appears immediately if the drive is being turned off while iTunes is running . Usually it won't do it until you try to actually play an item stored on an unavailable drive. Typically iTunes does not check for the actual presence of a file until it needs to use the file.

You have to double click? I can just press the down arrow to scroll through a list and iTunes (my older version I admit) has a quick glance.

So the NAS is being powered off while iTunes is running? I don't see the point in keeping iTunes running if you are powering off the NAS. Stop iTunes, stop the NAS, start the NAS, start iTunes. You can find Applescripts on the Internet which will check if a drive is available before starting iTunes, so you start iTunes using the Applescript.

There's an Apple script I can dig up which will re-check link validity but if you have thousands of files it will take a long time to run.

How to reconnect a complete library stored on a remote drive (NAS) after NAS power off / power on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.