Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need iTunes Match?

I have a question about moving music between an iPad (Air) and an iPod (nano), and whether Match will allow me to do this.

Over the past years my wife has amassed a sizable collection of songs by purchasing on iTunes. Until recently we had been careful to buy them on the PC / iTunes to make sure we could subsequently transfer the songs to both the iPad and the iPod. But recently, we've gotten a bit lazy and started to use the iPad to purchase the music, which of course means we can't get it onto the iPod without purchasing it again on the PC. I've done this for some of her favorite songs, but its getting expensive! Will Match allow me to access the music we've purchased on the iPad from the PC?

I did take a look on the forum last night and tried the device transfer - I hooked up the iPad to the PC but it only transferred apps not music.

Any help appreciated.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 4:30 AM

9 replies

Apr 24, 2015 9:07 AM in response to ed2345

Thanks for the advice, ed2345. I followed the advise in the Apple Support page, but unfortunately, i'm unable to download past purchases. Its good to know that this how Apple intended it to work, even if it doesn't work for everyone!

I made sure that the Apple ID is correct (we've only ever had one ID)

There were no hidden songs. The hidden songs button never showed on the account page, so I assume that means I have no hidden songs.

After clicking the "purchased" quick link button, and selecting "not in my Library", I was treated to a blank page initially. But after a few attempts, a couple of track that were purchased many months ago appeared along with the iCloud button. Sadly no others have made an appearance since...

Do you think the Apple Helpline might be able to help sort out the others?

Apr 24, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Casanunder

Casanunder wrote:

Thanks for the advice, ed2345. I followed the advise in the Apple Support page, but unfortunately, i'm unable to download past purchases. Its good to know that this how Apple intended it to work, even if it doesn't work for everyone!

I made sure that the Apple ID is correct (we've only ever had one ID)

There were no hidden songs. The hidden songs button never showed on the account page, so I assume that means I have no hidden songs.

After clicking the "purchased" quick link button, and selecting "not in my Library", I was treated to a blank page initially. But after a few attempts, a couple of track that were purchased many months ago appeared along with the iCloud button. Sadly no others have made an appearance since...

Do you think the Apple Helpline might be able to help sort out the others?

Yes, if they were purchased with the same Apple ID from the same country iTunes Store, and have not been hidden, then they should appear.

iTunes Customer Service should be able to help.

Before you contact them, go into your Purchase History and double-check the list of what you previously purchased. To get to the Purchase History, use the command Store > View Account.... and log in. Do this from iTunes on a computer, since the history available on an iPad only shows 90 days. On the computer you will see the list back to day 1.

Apr 28, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Casanunder

Casanunder wrote:

Hi there - me again!

Is there a way to download all songs at once? The "download all" button on the iTunes Store Purchased page only seems to download all songs from the selected artist. I have tried to selected multiple albums or artists, but iTunes isn't liking it.

Hi Casa,

The Download All button should be at the lower right (see below). Do you by any chance have more than 2000 purchased songs? If so, the Download All will not appear.

User uploaded file

Apr 28, 2015 1:39 PM in response to ed2345

Thanks again, ed2345,

On the Purchases page, I have a list of artists down the left hand side and the tracks for that artist shown in the right hand pane. The Download All button only downloads the songs of the selected artist from the list on the left. I can't seem to select more than 1 of the 538 artists at any time; there isn't an "all artists" selection either. You seem to have a mix of artists in the right hand pane - how did you get that?

I'm working my way through the list now - i'm up to "G" in the alphabet! Click click click...

Apr 28, 2015 3:38 PM in response to Casanunder

Casanunder wrote:

Thanks again, ed2345,

On the Purchases page, I have a list of artists down the left hand side and the tracks for that artist shown in the right hand pane. The Download All button only downloads the songs of the selected artist from the list on the left. I can't seem to select more than 1 of the 538 artists at any time; there isn't an "all artists" selection either. You seem to have a mix of artists in the right hand pane - how did you get that?

I'm working my way through the list now - i'm up to "G" in the alphabet! Click click click...

Casanunder,

My understanding is the ability to Download All disappears if you have more than 2000 purchased items. I don't know exactly how many corresponds to "amassed a sizable collection," but you may be over that limit. Click, click, click....

Once you have them all downloaded, make sure to keep a backup on physical media such as an external hard drive.

Do I need iTunes Match?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.