Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari downloads gifs instead of displaying them.

Hi all.

I have an infuriating problem. Safari insists on downloading all gifs (into my default Downloads folder) instead of displaying them. This includes all the 1x1 pixel gifs used by websites for tracking purposes, as well as any picture gifs on a webpage. It refuses to display gifs. I am collecting hundreds of gifs in my Downloads folder, which I have to delete regularly.

I have several user accounts on the iMac, and only on my main (admin) account does Safari do this. Safari on other user accounts displays gifs just fine.

Why? Why? Why? User uploaded file

27" late 2013 iMac. Yosemite 10.10.2. Safari 8.0.4. No safari extensions. Nothing unusual in my Safari Preferences pane. Happens with javascript enabled or disabled. I have deleted all Safari preferences in my /user/Library/Preferences, and there is nothing in my user/Library/Internet Plugins. I have checked the mime handlers and gifs are set to be opened by Safari by default. But it still happens.

I would like to delete Safari and re-install, but not sure if that is possible or if it would fix the issue.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Safari 8.0.4

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 5:28 AM

13 replies

May 6, 2015 2:28 AM in response to embertster

I had a similar problem. Much searching showed various posts with this problem but no solutions apart from a vaguely hopeful 'try reinstalling your OS'. So, I did that; the problem has gone away.

To do that:

- Go to the Apple menu, then hit Restart.

- While restarting, hold down Cmd-R to boot to recovery mode.

- Click to reinstall the OS. If you do it without reformatting your disk, all your documents and settings are kept - you're just replacing system files.

May 6, 2015 5:21 PM in response to embertster

Opps. Missed that originally. Here's a way to test the preference files in your account:

Trouble Shooting Preferences

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

If you're running Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

1 - close all applications.

2 - open your Home/Library folder and Option-drag (copy) the Preferences folder to the Desktop.

3 - select the contents of your Home/Library/Preferences folder and drag them into the Trash bin in the Dock. You will be asked to provide your Admin password.

4 - reboot. Be sure to know your account's username and password as you will be asked to log in with it.

5 - run the application again and determine if the problem(s) is fixed.

6 - If the problem is fixed:

A - open the working Home/Library/Preferences folder.

B - Open the Preferences folder on the Desktop, select all of the contents and drag them into the working Home/Library/Preferences folder.

C - When the Copy window pops up check the "Apply to All" check box and then click on the Don't Replace or Skip button.

D - reboot.

7 - If the problem is NOT fixed, drag the contents of the Preference folder on the Desktop into the Home/Library/Preference folder and replace the entire contents that were created by clicking on Replace.

8 - reboot and you're back as square one.

Note: keep the Preference folder on the desktop until you're sure all registration info for your apps are working. If not you can copy the required files from the desktop pref folder to the working one.

Safari downloads gifs instead of displaying them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.