Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine

I have backed up everything for the first time using time machine and an external hard drive. I have switched time machine off as the back up is complete. I now can't open iphoto from the dock....is this normal?

Many thanks....

3.06ghz intel core 2 duo

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 7:34 AM

No, the two aren't related. Can you open iPhoto from the Applications folder? If so, the Dock alias is corrupt. Click on it while holding down the command key and drag it from the dock. It may take a couple of inches. Then go to the Applications folder and drag iPhoto to the Dock to create a new alias.

I would suggest you turn Time Machine back on so your backup stays up-to-date.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2015 7:34 AM in response to ruby.tuesday

No, the two aren't related. Can you open iPhoto from the Applications folder? If so, the Dock alias is corrupt. Click on it while holding down the command key and drag it from the dock. It may take a couple of inches. Then go to the Applications folder and drag iPhoto to the Dock to create a new alias.

I would suggest you turn Time Machine back on so your backup stays up-to-date.

Apr 23, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, thank you very much for your response. I have done what you have suggested, and iphoto seems to be functioning normally.

I have switched time machine off as I wish to upgrade to yosemite, and I gather that this is the right thing to do? Maybe not?

I wonder if I could trouble you with another question. I am tangled up by the fact that I have two apple ID's (entirely accidental) - one of which is now an unuseable email address which is on my ipad - and I want to synch my ipad to the imac eventually. So, with icloud, do I have to set up an icloud as soon as I download yosemite, or will it allow me to wait.... as I was thinking of setting up a secure email but I can't do that with my existing safari browser.

Also, does icloud allow you to use it for certain files only, for example, I don't want all my photos in icloud, I just want to synch things I write on the ipad to the imac. Is this going to be possible?

If I use my second ID to download yosemite, I am stuck with that in all other aspects of it.

I'm sorry to barrage you with questions, and will understand entirely if you don't have time to answer them....I'm sure I will nut it all out eventually. I'm sure I sound very confused about all this I guess that's because I am.......

Many thanks and best wishes.

Apr 23, 2015 11:26 AM in response to ruby.tuesday

You are welcome. I would leave Time Machine off during the upgrade even though the chances of it running are small because the computer restarts.

You can set up iCloud later if you want. Just make sure the iPad, iCloud, and computer are all using the same Apple ID.

You can sync documents using iCloud Drive. There is not a requirement to put your photos in iCloud.

I would stick with 1 Apple ID if at all possible because it makes things simpler.

Time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.