Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes won't show Iphone since IOS Upgrade

Hello New Friends,

My Iphone will no longer show up in ITunes so I can't Sync. It started when I upgraded to IOS. First some background...

I 've been having an issue with the charger port on my phone for a long time. The Iphone charging wire had to be finagled just right for it to connect, like I had to lean my phone up against the wall to push the base forward or even wrap the wire around my phone to make it work. I tried several Iphone charging wires and determined it definitely wasn't the wire that had the issue but rather the charging port. The iphone store confirmed this. At one point I held it in place and set up home sharing so that I wouldn't have to plug in to sync the phone. The charging port cost a lot to fix but I was able to find a solution to that. My coworker has one of those Mophie charging cases which for some reason works just fine. I don't know why. But it charges my phone without issue. It has it's own wire that isn't the same as the regular wire. It doesn't work to sync to iTunes, but again, I had homesharing turned on so no issue there.

I think what happened is that, when I updated to the newest IOS, 8.3, it reset homesharing maybe? In order to set up home sharing the first time, you HAVE to plug the phone into the wire and connect with ITunes that way first. Then you set up homesharing and don't need to plug in again. But like I said, that doesn't work in my current situation.

I'd rather not have to buy another Iphone charging wire just for this purpose. The Mophie works and the Iphone wire again doesn't really work. So I'm trying to figure out how I can sync my phone to ITunes without having to get a new charger. Please note that my reason for doing this is to sync music. It seems to be connecting to MacBook over wireless in other ways. LIke my bookmarks seemed to have synced. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't see my little iphone icon in ITunes.

It's an Iphone 5 btw. and the MacBook is from 2010.

Here's what I've tried so far....

Updated to latest Yosemite and ITunes.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Itunes

Connected Via Hotspot Successfully

Tried to connect via Bluetooth (which only works through hotspot for some reason)

Airdrop (not sure that works with music files, but couldn't get it to work with photos either)

Restarted MacBook and Iphone while plugged into laptop.

Restarted ITunes several times.

Logged in and out of Homesharing

Clicked the Sync with ITunes button under Iphone settings (searches for MacBook, can't find it even with hotspot)

In other words I've tried every way possible to get my phone and MacBook connected. And with the hotspot especially it worked. But still can't see my phone in ITunes. I'm at a loss and quite frustrated. I'm going on a trip and there's some music I really want on there. I'm wondering if maybe it's because my MacBook is from 2010 that there's a compatibility issue somewhere. I'm not even 100% certain I could connect with a real iphone wire but I might try it. But if there's anyway anyone else knows to get ITunes to recognize my phone or transfer files please let me know. Much obliged.

iPhone, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 7:01 AM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2015 7:44 AM in response to DanielDnycib

I am by no means an expert on iPhone issues but I recall reading some cables transfer power and others carry data too, and this may be device specific. I suspect your third party device is designed to simply transfer power. If it is as you say the issue is one of re-activating Home Sharing and it has to be connected by a data cable then you may be left without solutions unless you subscribe to iTunes Match (in which case you can afford to buy another cable 🙂 ).

You can read if Apple has any suggestions:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Device not recognized in iTunes for Mac OS X - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1591

Itunes won't show Iphone since IOS Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.