Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook fan is going nuts

my magsafe charger sparked and turned off my macbook, so i went and bought a new charger and now my fan is always running at an avage speed of 6000 rpm even when i'm not doing anything. i installed istat to get a better understanding why its doing this and it says my computers at 102 degrees, i'd believe this if i wasn't just on firefox and something like minecraft or borderlands which use all of my ram.

i've tried smc and pram resets acouple of times. theres nothing in my cpu that running very high. highest is firefox with 10%.

any suggestions or did i screw somthing up that i need professional help?

Macbook 13inch late 2009 Yosimite 10.10.3

MacBook

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 8:21 AM

9 replies

Apr 23, 2015 8:58 AM in response to deathinky

"my magsafe charger sparked and turned off my macbook"

Yes that would be bad and could have easily damaged the SMC chip.

"did i screw somthing up that i need professional help"

More than likely. If that chip is damaged, that could mean a logic board replacement.

Try a hard reset. Disconnect the battery (open the bottom and pull the connector off. Use your fingernails.) and power adapter. Press the power button for 1 minute. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes, Reconnect and try to start up.

No? - Go through the same procedure and try to start without the battery connected.

The addendum to this would be to try a known good battery.

Basically it's the SMC reset w/ a battery you can remove.

Apr 23, 2015 9:11 AM in response to deathinky

Can you use Istat to control the fan speed?

I think it works with the SMC if I recall correctly.

Also, 102 degrees Farenheit is OK.

Do you mean 102 degrees Centigrade?

I would think the high fan speed would keep it to the lower level of 102 degrees F.

Spudnuty may be right that the spark damaged the SMC controller. Hopefully not.

There may be other fan controllers, other than iStat, you can try to use depending upon the age of your Macbook to control the fan.

Logic board replacement is probably an expensive option. Better to buy a used or new Macbook pro.

Apr 27, 2015 1:36 AM in response to Lukcresdera

Here are Apple's instructions for various Apple Laptops to Reset SMC:

How to reset the SMC

See the appropriate section below for your Mac notebook or desktop computer.

On Mac notebooks with non-removable battery

Mac notebook computers that have a battery you should not remove include: MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015).

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

On Mac notebooks with removable battery

Older MacBook and MacBook Pro computers have removable batteries. Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for five seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Apr 28, 2015 1:12 AM in response to deathinky

A couple more dumb questions -

Is the new mag safe adapter the exact same model and current output as the old mag safe adapter?

The adapters often look the same. Is it the new adapter an OEM Apple adapter or an aftermarket adapter?

If not, I guess I could imagine a higher current output or a higher output voltage maybe causing a situation with the SMC.

my macbook fan is going nuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.