Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini with OSX on external hard drive crashing upon boot

I have a Mac Mini with OSX Lion, which was installed on a passport external hard drive, and plugged into the Mini.

Was working 3 weeks ago, but now when I power on, get chime, mac logo, and long progression bar on display. As soon as it reaches 100%, powers off instantly.

Tried holding down shift key upon restarting, but nothing changes.

Help, I really would like my Mac back...

Mac mini (Mid 2011), iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 8:21 AM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2015 8:25 AM in response to jetster1

Have you tried repairing disk permissions in Safe Mode?

- Shut down your Mac

- Wait until your computer turns off and after that press the Power button

- Right after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key

- Release the Shift key when you see a grey Apple sign and the progress bar below this sign

- Once you see Desktop, start a Disc Utility scan to detect and repair file system errors (don't forget to choose your main hard drive)

- Click on Verify Disc and then, if asked to fix problems, on Repair Disk

- After this, click on Verify Disk Permissions and then on Repair Disk Permissions

- After the process is finished, shut down your Mac and turn it back on after about 30 seconds

Hope this helps!

Apr 24, 2015 8:48 AM in response to jetster1

Try to restore your Mac to factory settings. First of all, save all the files you want to keep (photos, documents etc.) on a separate drive or in the cloud. Make sure you are connected to the Internet. After that, follow these steps:

1. Restart your Mac. Once it restarts and the grey screen appears, press and hold the Command and R keys.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click Continue.
  3. Select your startup disk on the left and click the Erase tab.
  4. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format menu, enter a name, and then click Erase.
  5. Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

Mac mini with OSX on external hard drive crashing upon boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.